Possible to build a fanless Gentoo PC?

I’d like to build in the Streacom DB4. I’d also like to use Gentoo with it, which may or may not be a problem. I compile all my software, the biggest being Firefox. A simple window manager (i3wm) and Firefox.

Ideally I would use a AMD Ryzen 2400G 45-65W (or possibly AMD Athlon 200GE – 35W).

How stressful would compiling programs be? Would the passively cooled Streacom DB4 be able to handle it?

That case has problems cooling a 65w tdp CPU. It will work fine but don’t expect max clocks. It will thermal throttle.

@SesameStreetThug how shitty do you think gentoo would be on a throttled CPU?

Noctua is working on a fanless CPU cooler but probably 12 to 18 months until it comes to market. And its gonna be big, like NH15 size big.

I’m fine without max clock when compiling a big program such as firefox. I assume a athlon 200GE would be better option since it is 35W?

This case comes with heat pipes, but that noctua CPU cooler does sound nice, but unfortunately that time frame is too long.

1 Like

I think I just might end up getting a different case such as the Skyreach 4 Mini, Cerberus X, or SM560.

I run gentoo on a laptop and it’s fine. If you’re worried just offload your compiles with distcc

1 Like

What are the specs of your laptop? Do you do any extra cooling for the laptop?

Thinkpad t450s no cooling pad or anything, just the internal fan.

I don’t see how gentoo or compiling would have anything to do with cooling.

If your priority one is fanless, you match case and CPU and you’re good. The CPU has a TDP which your case should be able to cool. Anything beyond that is not primarily about silence anymore. If your Case can support your CPU’s TDP, it’ll be fine running at 100% load for a long time. It’ll probably not boost or throttle a bit, and it won’t be running at 40°C, but your requirements are neither performance nor running cool, but silent.

If you want great performance, temps AND Silent, that’s when it gets tricky to impossible…

1 Like

Because you will be running your CPU close to 100% for close to 10hrs potentially.

1 Like

Big +1 to distcc if you want to compile on another machine. Also, if you want to be cheap, you can emerge firefox-bin to save some time (at the cost of your Gentoo street cred)

firefox is shit anyway. Barely any use flags, no way to compile it without the shitty built in notification system. The only reason to emerge firefox over firefox-bin is to have it compile with the many patches that attempt to unfuck mozillas shitfest

1 Like

Yeah and they’re only going downhill apparently. I’m a Vivaldi guy, but I would be using surf if I could get video working. Everything just looks red for some reason lol

I basically stick to falkon and ungoogled-chromium these days

1 Like