Possible future NAS build

It even says “First release”, no updates for AGESA etc.
Compare that list to this one for example:

1 Like

So you are just referring to their velocity/frequency. That doesn’t mean they don’t provide BIOS updates at all, because historically they have (e.g. for their X570 boards) when it’s necessary.

These are server boards. Several others in this forum use their boards regularly, so I don’t really think the fact they haven’t published a new BIOS for a recently released motherboard in a couple of months is something one needs to really be cautious about. They’re just conservative about it afaict.

That said, I recall reading others contacting support to get newer/modified BIOS images with success to resolve some fringe issue, so that’s an option.

1 Like

AGESA for example is a crucial part of AMDs “chipset framework” not to forget microcode updates (I know some can be updated afterwards by the OS) and a few months is now 6 months. I would indeed find it odd to poke the manufacturer for expected aftermarket support.

I agree the B650 ProArt has a great feature set for a NAS or any homeserver. x8/x8 is very rare these days. Got that one on my watchlist for good reasons. ASUS recently added Kingston ECC UDIMM to the QVL (took a while until they added it, so they aren’t up-to-date everywhere).

Bummer it uses crab NICs though, one of the reasons I went with its bigger brother instead.

When looking for a consumer board as a server, I ignore the on-board NICs. The build I’m using this will have 25Gbit Mellanox, one of the reason why I like the x8/x8. You can upgrade networking without sacrificing all of your only (x16) slot. So 2x NVMe or HBA in the second slot is still possible and allows for more and better server builds depending on what storage you run. Or if you want a GPU in addition to proper networking

on-board 10G became exotic ever since Covid. AM4 had 300$ boards with 10G, now with Z790 and X670, you don’t get this <600-700$.

And x8/x8 split + 10G networking…well that’s unobtainium. I’m glad I got my x570D4U-2L2T before the board price hikes (payed 330$)

ASUS ProArt X670E-Creator currently retails at ~450$ (sometimes down to 400$) and comes with 10G (Marvell) and 2.5Gbit Intel for example :slight_smile:

1 Like