Possible Cpu/ram upgrade?

I am currently running a q8300 with 4gb 1066 ram on a g41t-am rev1.1 motherboard.

Do I have any options for upgrading the cpu/ram?

Not really, 1333 is the max ram speed and a little googling shows the board only supports 4gb of ddr3. You could try larger dimms but I thats a gamble.

The cpu is pretty much as good as you’re going to gey. The platform just isn’t worth investing in at this point

The manual says any of the core 2 quads up to 95w TDP. The q9650 is the highest upgrade according to ark.

The manual shows you can run 4GB dimms up to 8gb Max ram, however finding 4GB dimms in ddr2 is going to be costly because of the lack of availability.

I’m inclined to agree with @skelterz though. Its not worth investing in. You can find newer machines for cheaper with better specs. Look at 1st/2nd gen intel systems.

The ram is ddr3. Does that make any difference?

Sorry man, its DDR2

manual here

Its just really old stuff.

I wish it were good. I have an E8400 that I used for a long time.

I just checked

Form Factor: DIMM
Set: None
Locator: DIMM1
Bank Locator: BANK1
Type: DDR3
Type Detail: Synchronous
Speed: 1066 MT/s

Well if thats the case then its much easier to find ram. I would verify 100% by pulling a stick and making sure thats correct but something like this would be your max upgrade

Again I dont think its worth it because your 95w TDP CPU upgrade to a q9650 is only about as fast as my AMD 5350 box while consuming 4x the power.

Those 2 items together are about $70

Or for about the same money you can get a 1st gen i5 with the 8gb of ram

A significant upgrade in speed.

4 Likes

Thanks again for your help. :slight_smile:

4 Likes