Popping My PC Building Cherry

Wanting to build my first PC, will be mainly used for gaming, any help is much appreciated! 
Parts are: 

CPU - AMD FX-8350

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3

Memory - Kingston HyperX 8GB

Video Card - Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB

Case - Fractal Design Core 1000

Power Supply - Corsair CX 500W

If anyone has any suggestions on changes i could make that would improve the build that would be great! It comes to just under £500, I can't really go over that amount because I'm a student and i need to eat! Thanks in advance!

A first build is always fun. Make sure you watch the build video on TekSyndicate's youtube channel.
  • Purpose of the computer?
  • Do you have any parts already?

You're missing a hard drive.

Will be used mainly for gaming. 

Haven't purchased anything yet.

Hard drive is a WD Caviar Blue 1TB

That's a pretty decent build, but I would shift priorities a little bit.
Generally speaking, I would throw as much as possible from the budget at the video card.

I made two suggestions for you, one for AMD, one for Intel.

AMD:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/mJt3sY

Intel:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Nw7499

Now before anyone complains that I did not use the G3258 for the Intel build because it's sooo great to overclock. Right, but it's still a dual-Core CPU without HT, and it's the year 2014. The i3 will give you an overall better experience and it actually is overclockable. Not by a lot, but still. Intel should finally give gamers unlocked i3s! I'll start a petition on change.org ;-)

If you want to save some more money, consider getting some used stuff of ebay.
I recently build me a secondary gaming rig almost completely with parts from ebay. It's a pretty beefy machine, with two Radeon HD 7950s and a 6-core AMD. It came out at around 500 € total. The only parts I bought new were the PSU and CPU cooler. You might want to try this as well, it was a fun building experience.

That motherboard will not handle an FX-8350.  The power draw on the FX-8350 is way too high for the Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 to handle.  I might consider an FX-8320E with no overclock, though.

Eating is over rated anyway   lol

get involved with a local pea patch  ... home grown food is better for you anyway