PopOS worked with Looking-Glass and Fedora doesn't

PopOS crashed and burned and I couldn’t easily get it back up so I took the opportunity to flee from a learning experience so I could use my computer… and ran to Fedora, who lovingly wrapped me in it’s arms and crushed me to death with this issue…

I struggled but eventually got Looking Glass to build, and it runs with help.

I believe I have the file setup correctly… tried a few different recommended ways with my user name and kvm and another time with my user name and qemu… neither seems to work.

The VM will start and I can see the GPU pass through works.

As soon as I add this to the XML in Virt-Manager the VM crashes on boot:

<shmem name="looking-glass">
      <model type="ivshmem-plain"/>
      <size unit="M">64</size>
      <address type="pci" domain="0x0000" bus="0x10" slot="0x01" function="0x0"/>
    </shmem>

I never see it start.

Help me Obi-wan kenobi… you’re my only tech guru…

QEMU VMs usually crash with notice. Either you’ll get a popup from Virt-Manager, and/or details in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/<VM_Name>.log. Review the log to see the reason for the crash.

1 Like

1. Validate the shmem configuration:

• Check the PCI address: Ensure this address doesn’t conflict with any existing devices in your system. You can use the lspci command to view your PCI devices and their addresses. Also, check the system logs or use the journalctl command

Edge case. . .

• XML Configuration:
    Double-check your XML configuration for any syntax errors or typos. Ensure that the XML is correctly formatted.