Pop_Os Boot Up Problems

Hello

I installed Pop_Os 19.04 from a usb stick to my hard drive and now I can’t boot into the Os itself. I completely erased the hard drive before I installed it. When I power on the laptop I get the Grub menu and then I press on the word that says Ubuntu and nothing happens. I only get black screen. Could somebody please help?

My laptop specifications:

CPU:
AMD A10-5750M

RAM:
6 GB

HDD:
1TB

CONNECTIONS:
USB 3.0 x 2, USB 2.0 x 1
2x1 (SD/MMC)
2-in-1 audio jack (headphone and mic)
HDMI-out
RJ45
VGA connector

When at the black screen, what happens, if anything, if you press the following keys?

ctrl + alt + F3

Also, I added some tags to the thread. So if you see a notification with a pencil, that’s what that is.

1 Like

Nothing happens if I press those buttons.

I also forgot to mention in the description that my laptop is a Lenovo G505s.

you may need to press the Fn button to get F3 to work. I think you can toggle the function keys is you press Fn+Esc

btw, I don’t think pop_os uses grub by default

Apparently it does because I didn’t do anything else except install Pop_Os.

I found this on their website.

Systemd-boot is the bootloader for Pop!_OS 18.04 and above while GRUB is the bootloader for Ubuntu.

Interesting. I never knew systemd-boot was a thing.

I tried the above mentioned solution but when I get to the logo and press and hold F7 and F1 buttons nothing happens. Regardless if I’m using stand-alone keyboard or keyboard on the laptop.

My first question would be… did you download the correct version from the pop os site ?

You want the intel/amd version of pop os. Did you use etcher to flash the usb ?

Mine was a little slow this morning to get into full boot of pop os the first time. That was on a full desktop.

It was intel/amd version and I used Rufus for flashing.

Use Etcher.

I went back to Windows which mean we can end this conversation. Thank you for trying to help me, but I simply don’t have the nerves anymore to go back and forth with Linux.

to fix the issue u only need follow this video #youtu.be/atGkorVI5Bw

I had a similar issue when I first installed pop!_OS.

Turned out to be an issue when selecting enlgish language with Swedish keyboard(in my case)
I ended up trying english with standard english keyboard and it booted fine.

Figured I should mention it, I’m not sure if that bug is still present. But if you tried to install with a non english keyboard. Give this a try and just install your native keyboard after the install.

It’s one year later. OP has moved on.