Poll Syndicate

If open source software/hardware household electronics exist would you buy them over cheaper alternatives ? (examples - Oven, refrigerator etc. )

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

If I could repair them for cheaper I might, but if the repair cost is the same then I don’t see the point.

1 Like

Well technically you will be able to repair them yourself but I guess you mean the replacement parts being cheaper or at least on par as a price ?

if it meant that anyone could make parts we could have cheaper high quality alternative. so hard yes from me boss

Parts cost would need to be cheaper.

I’ve already repaired the closed-sourced (?) dishwasher at home a few times without much issue other than my bad knees.

1 Like

I don´t see the point in open source hardware.

You look at components, find the dead one, type in the number in Digikey and put the replacement in place. No magic about it.

Ay that’s kind of unrealistic thou. Those electronics first have to become a global brand before they get multiple companies manufacturing repair parts. But I get your idea.

Well I wont lie to you me neither, I was thinking more of open source programmable oven/other electronics but then again if the software is open source why not the hardware too.

There are some components wich do not have public datasheets, but when I can get a replacement, I don´t have to care.
Take the PCB out of whatever is dead, there is the source.

Yeah I get you. Well open source hardware in those conditions would be more like if someone wants to improve on the design or add some “plugins” for extra functionality.

1 Like

Household electronics often have mechanical parts too. I’m assuming you’re including those and thats a big factor in why I think its a good idea.

Yeah I mean everything.

hell yeah then. open source hardware makes it way easier for the end user to make their own improvements.

1 Like

How so? I don´t have a 5-axis CNC to make a replacement pully for my washing machine.
I can take the measurements, but that is about it.

you dont have to be the one to do that though. communities exist around certain hardware for this exact reason. look at 3d printers and how many different prusa designs exist around one open source piece of equipment. other companies can make or manufacture the parts for you. then people in the communities take those designs and improve them. then others make the parts with those designs and sell them.

Its a perfect example of how opensource hardware can work for us.

Sure you can do this with more closed printers but it requires more work since you have to spend the time measuring and modeling from scratch as opposed to starting from existing information you could just download.

EX

I dont need to have one and measure everything printed.

2 Likes

I get the idea of open source hardware. I very much applaud Motorola for getting together with iFixit, I just do not see the benefits in case of home appliances (the dangers of working at or near grid voltage not taken into consideration).

Well rule number one of repair is - Disconnect from the grid.

I am not sure what you meant with that.

1 Like

So I’m kinda tired of being stuck on old versions of Android (I’m on Google Fi, so I don’t have to worry about the carrier, but I have an LG). Thinking about switching. I’m not super invested in an ecosystem. I might not end up switching, but I’m seriously considering it.

Which would you choose?

• iPhone and $200 prepaid card with Xfinity Mobile (Verizon towers)
  • Pixel 3 with Google Fi (T-Mobile/Sprint/US Cellular towers)

0 voters

draw…

both lose.

1 Like

What can I get that actually stays up to date then? I’m open to other options, but this whole waiting 6+ months after release to get the newest OS version is pissing me off.

I’d go apple