Poll Syndicate

Experience. Have/had/ what seems common locally.

Not so much the funny way foreign countries did it where you stayed, but the general way you’ve seen it.

Personally, I’d split the toilet room and the bath / shower room. Maybe I’d put the washing machine and if really necessary, the dryer in the bathroom, but it’s mostly for convenience factor, rather than cleaning convenience.

People can still use the toilet when someone is taking a shower or a long bath. At the very least, I’d want room dividers that allow the use of the bath or toilet by 2 people at the same time (like a bathroom stall, although separate rooms is way more sane, saves some money from having to put tiles on longer walls, i.e. on more sq. ft. and it makes said tiles easier to clean, since there’s less to clean).

I also want some kind of hot water pressure hose to clean the toilets with. Of course, that implies that an additional drain will also be required.

Except for the flush… When the water temperature / pressure suddenly changes…

2 Likes

In Eastern Europe, this was never a problem nowhere I lived. I had this problem in the US. I was planning for a water tank to equalize the pressure in all the house anyway. I find it ridiculous that you can’t flush without boiling the frog individual taking a shower. In fact, in EE I had the opposite thing happen. Flushing was fine, no pressure change.

But when someone uses the other shower (when there’s 2 baths in the house), or when someone washes dishes, you’ll get colder water. Probably because each house has a small boiler or boiler + heating system combo and that’s where the pressure got lost - it would come back after 5 minutes, when the boiler would start going full tilt to heat water for both showers, but when one stopped, the other would get an influx of hot water again.

To get around it (and save water), we used to not open the shower at full blast (which is what I hate about US homes, you can’t adjust the shower pressure, which is insane, who thought it was a good idea to combine hot and cold valves into a single, full pressure unified handle?!?).

1 Like

Same.

I just don’t know how common split rooms are.

It just makes sense.

Unless domestic setting, with several rooms having private toilet, with shared shower.
But having had a private toilet + shower room to myself, it was nice to relaxedly take time doing my business and cleaning myself

2 Likes

Which one would you get?

For mobile gaming and a little café coding.

They’re all on sale right now.

Laptop 1 would be an easy choice, but it has soldered RAM. 16GB is enough, it’s just nice to have the option. The other two are previous-gen laptops that are on sale, and current-gen isn’t worth the extra several hundred dollars IMO.

Depending on the workload, I’d still go laptop 1, particularly if it’s for gaming. It’s got an OLED screen with high refresh, a decent GPU and a ryzen mobile CPU and it’s bigger. If only it wasn’t a lenovo…

If gaming is not the goal, I’d go laptop 3, because it’s portable and a lot cheaper. I find that 16GB of RAM is fine (well, TBF, I’m running a slimmed down linux environment and have 32GB of RAM, my consumption never went past 12GB and even on 8 I used to be fine, although I could see some slowness when swap was getting used). On my windows work laptop, I got 16GB of RAM and I get by with it, unless I need to start a VM (which is mostly the RAM I’ve allocated it, not its actual consumption).

2 Likes

So I was just watching L0T 31, and there was an interesting observation about a manufacturer of crappy motherboards. I’m curious what is your personal experience with some of the brands.

In your experience, who makes the worst laptops? I’m thinking big manufacturers, not like 3 models of Razer laptops that break the second they are out of warranty.

• HP
  • Lenovo
  • Dell
  • Acer
  • Asus
  • Apple
  • Other
0 voters

Would like to double-vote Dell and HP

2 Likes

One must be just a tiny bit more craptastic :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I would vote 3x for HP.

• my first (decent) laptop: HP Pavilion DV9000 - nvidia GPU toasted itself and it wouldn’t display anything right on either the built-in monitor, nor VGA (bonus: one of the hinges broke off and I needed a flathead screwdriver in the kensington lock to open the laptop)
  • my sister’s ryzen 1st gen HP - broken keys and dead after a while (wouldn’t turn on - the charger was fine)
  • one of my friend’s HP laptop - toast
  • she bought a new HP laptop in college - broke after about 2.5 years

Those are the ones that I remember, but my experience with HPs is that they either break off some components here and there, but still work, or more likely, just stop working after a few years completely.

I can agree Dell makes crap consumer stuff. My sister’s new laptop (some Inspiron G series) came with problems from the factory: improperly seated RAM, BSODs frequently in games, general instability, turning off from heat (it had a ryzen 4000 series IIRC and a radeon dgpu).

But I can highly attest to Dell Latitude series. Holly molly, these things are the modern ibm thinkpads. I had latitude e5530, e5430, e5440, e5540, e5570, 5580, 5480, 5400, 5500, 5510 and 5410. They all lasted from 2013 and kept on going and from all of them (probably more than 40 laptops), the only problem with them was the battery and just one had a slight problem detecting the SSD (IIRC an e5430, the ssd just had to be plugged in without the tray and stuck very deep in).

Not to mention the latitude’s warranty if you buy new, they’ll replace even the stinking rubber band around the monitor for free if it comes undone / swells on one side. But even if you buy old, they should still work great (I would love to buy an e5440, that was the best between performance, size and decent battery life). And they shouldn’t be too expensive.

I wanted to vote Lenovo too, not because they have QA issues, but because they’re so hardware malware infested (by lenovo itself) that’s not even funny. Just never buy lenovo because of spyware, never buy HP (any lineup) or Dell consumer stuff because of poor quality and be careful what selection of Asus you make (the very thin lineup tends to break easily, but their gaming stuff seemed to be ok from what other people told me, in terms of quality and the laptop surviving over the years).

Acer is hit or miss slightly, you can get one that’ll last very short, but most of them seemed to last quite a bit, despite their generally cheaper price. For the price, Acer’s pretty good.

3 Likes

If it was sold and delivered by Amazon, or even just fulfilled by amazon (as in, using their delivery) just wait and see if they refund you, I wouldn’t give amazon money for it, if they don’t refund you, so be it. Amazon still has to pay the producer for the lost item.

If it was a seller that sold on amazon, but delivered through something else, contact amazon and tell them you want to cancel the refund because you got the item (a day late, despite what the delivery notification said).

If it’s someone other than amazon that would not get paid, then I’d feel bad for them (like if you got a steelseries and got it for free, they’d have to deal with it).

2 Likes

What made me 600% mad about Dell was them only accepting THEIR ram, else you get 2 yellow 4/5 white blinks as soon as you apply AC power.
Extreme anti-everyone bullshit especially since they keep marketing their environmentally-friendly concepts.

Lenovo with their viruses can suck a big one!

3 Likes

Was it in newer models that use their own RAM modules? I seem to recall something about CAMM stuff.

When upgrading RAM in all the above older Dells (up to latitude 5410 and 5510), I had most luck with Crucial memory. You might get the error code if the RAM is improperly seated, or if the speeds and capacities are too different and you won’t be able to post, but I never heard about RAM lock-in. Maybe it’s something they did on consumer laptops, idk.

1 Like

I was losing my mind before Christmas, and then found some Chad in the Dell forum calling a spade a spade. Kingston memory does not work, Crucial has modules that do work, for 15€ more though.

1 Like

I’ve been working on a new computer case for a long while.
I have an idea for something no one has ever done before.
For the time being, I will refrain from sharing details.
I will eventually make it for myself.

The pitch:

• DIY, bom < 100$
  • 12L
  • M-ATX & GPU & SFX PSU
  • no PCIe riser

In theory, does this even sound like something you’d want to DIY make?

• Yeah
  • Nay mate
0 voters

If yeah, would you be willing to pay for the files?

• Eyoo, yes please!
  • Nopity Nope
0 voters

Patent that, so only Chinese can copy your design :wink:

5 Likes

xD
It’s a stupid and bad idea.
No manufacturer should ever do it.

However; If you want to DIY a case, there are stupider ideas.

2 Likes

If you are doing it anyway why not offer it on something like Gumroad ? “Pay what you can” and see what happens.

I have pay what you want products with 200 sales and profit 1$.
Not even worth the time to set it up, and upload the files.

1 Like