Poll Syndicate

Developer Instructions sets and architectures!

Your main machine supports up to:

• My current system supports AVX1
  • My current system supports AVX1+2
  • My current system supports AVX1+2 and AVX512
  • My current system supports AVX1+2+AVX512 + AMX tile
  • I’m still rocking Athlon/Westmere as my daily

0 voters

You’ve targeted instruction sets as modern as:

• It’s the compilers problem, not mine
  • SSE4
  • AVX1
  • AVX2
  • AVX512 (skylake, tigerlake or Icelake)
  • AVX512 (Xeon Phi)
  • AVX512 (Alderlake/SapphireRapids)
  • AMX (tile) [SapphireRapids+]

0 voters

When using accelerators you’ve used

• Cuda
  • HIP/ROCm
  • OpenCL
  • SYCL+SPIRV
  • C++ with OpenACC/other vendor extensions
  • FPGA specific
  • Metal
  • Vulkan Compute
  • AVX512 (Xeon PHI)
  • Python
  • Intel DPC++
  • [other, please reply directly]

0 voters

For laptop

• 14" 16:9 (1920x1080)
  • 13" 16:10 (1920x1200)

0 voters

14 feels a bit too small… but people are used to phones and tablets anyway…

Ya I just noticed the Asus ROG X13 and while I’m not going to buy one, it did get me thinking. The screen size is so close, and you get a little extra relative height with 16:10. Guess it just depends on what you’re using it for.

But both are too small for me. I even tried the new 14" MacBook Pro which is 16:10 and that felt small.

[x] 3:2 master race

3 Likes

Cinema likes the widescreen format for some reason. I kinda like the old 3:2 aspect ratio as well but the content isnt there… i also havent seen much modern/recent monitor in that ratio.

Framework laptop is 3:2 and I’d buy a monitor for my desktop if someone made an appealing option

1 Like

Huawei has 28" 3:2 MateView. I only saw it in an office somewhere for like 5 mins. It looked great so I asked what it was, but looking up reviews later people are not happy about the panel.

I hate nothing more than needing to fight the auto-hide functionality of media controls when viewing video; with 16:10, viewing 16:9 video is much more pleasant because I can see all the content from the very moment I press play.

If black bars trouble one so, there is OLED for that, but personally I will always prefer black bars over the software UI equivalent of a notch, having to fight against auto-hide media controls. For example, if I need to rewatch something on my phone or a 16:9 display, I am always rewinding a few seconds extra to give the UI a chance to fade out.

Add to that the generic additional benefits of more vertical space for reading, programming, etc.

The one exception to this would be DCI 8K/4K, if I could afford one, I would get it just to support a display that is actually the number of pixels it says it is.

• Risk my money and open a restaurant in these uncertain times
  • Don’t risk my money and don’t do anything in these uncertain times
  • Wank miself retarded…

0 voters

Say there was a live stream you wanted to see. What times would work best for you.

Saturday
  • Morning
  • Noon
  • Evening

0 voters

Sunday
  • Morning
  • Noon
  • Evening

0 voters

Flat monitor for use with RTX 2060 and work laptop (iGP, will be a Quadro soon-ish)
  • 27" 1440p @120 Hz
  • 27-28" 2160p @60 Hz
  • Don’t overspend! Embrace 27" 1440p @60-75 Hz

0 voters

What do I do next?
  • Replace the 1080p screen, use laptop screen
  • Keep the 1080p screen, figure out how to fit the laptop on the desk

0 voters

Boring stuff, the explanation

Gamer turned old and indie - I stopped playing competitive online games, am enjoying RPG and indie games.

I’m using a 1080p 144Hz IPS screen, but most games don’t need or don’t hit it. While playing AAA, like AC: Valhalla, I get 60 FPS.

I want to upgrade for Working from Home reasons. I really like 27" 1440p @75 Hz at the office so much more than using my own 1080p screen at home.

Are you using a KVM or something? If so, I would definitely add a second display.

Just close the laptop and set it between the monitor stands.

1 Like

I dont have a kvm switch. Thinking about USB switcher for keyboard and mouse.

Until recently I had a 32 inch 1440p screen with 75Hz. 75Hz was okay, but with a Nvidia GPU you can use DLSS for higher framerates. As long as it is not too expensive I would go for 120Hz. It will be rewarding if you game a lot.

1 Like

Thank you all for participating in my poll!

obraz

I will narrow my search to the 1440p 120+ Hz options :slight_smile:
I will worry about my battlestation setup later.

1 Like

Daily driver is Vivaldi, I use Firefox and Chromium daily and Opera occasionally.

I like the pol, but maybe a couple of choices might be nice?

Like, even at work we use multiple browsers for differing tasks, let alone home?

3 Likes

Hmm, true, perhaps i should reformat it.
And the pie chart was a bad idea as well…

1 Like

I dunno, who doesn’t like pie?

3 Likes