Poll Syndicate

But seriously, if you need the upgrade go for it.

6 Likes

slightly a need, but mostly a want. My lil i5 has lasted me for 6 years without a hiccup, but the build log I want to post creates this itch of wanting to know if my case mod helped airflow, I could wait another month but to be honest I feel the prices are the lowest they’ll get considering the products are still relatively new.

2 Likes

8 years and counting with my Sandy bridge :smile:

The very reason why I’d go for it right now. There might be good deals on Black friday, but IF there is, it’s most likely going to be 20-30$ better sale than what you have right now. Imo not worth it to take chances on waiting better sale.

1 Like

that and if people scoop it up before I can get them

1 Like

You’d be switching from Intel to AMD. That in itself is priceless. The sale is just a bonus.

1 Like

indeed the upgrade will be a warm welcome to my ultrawide 1440p, but then again I always squeeze as much as I can out of my money :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

4 Disk RAID10 on Gentoo

• Use ZFS (Compiled into the kernel if possible)
  • Suck it up and use BTRFS again
  • Try XFS + MDADM (stripe aware)

0 voters

Not knowing the use case of the array, I can’t decide between ZFS and XFS. :confused:

My /home on my desktop
playing games and web browsing, maybe some graphics stuff. It’s not a network storage location

The sum of multiple polls had ZFS and XFS tied, and I was the tiebreaker

Oh, I’d have gone XFS then.

1 Like

wtf I love you now

1 Like

I do that like zfs only resync/silvers actually used data… instead of the whole partition

The main reason I would switch to ryzen is for its better security model and vt-x support in the UEFI so you can fully emulate win10 and pass through the GPU

Alright guys if you had to put fans (ignore the bottom fan) super close to a gpu like this, would you have static pressure or air flow fans? Also would they be intakes or exhausts?

• Exhaust Static Pressure
  • Exhaust Air Flow
  • Intake Static Pressure
  • Intake Air Flow

0 voters

In a case that small - go all SP…
The best thing you can do is balance the intakes and exhausts. Usually negative pressure gives you better thermals, but I still maintain positive pressure with dust filtration is the best overall option…

I personally haven’t notice too much difference between AF and SP. I generally go AF because they are quieter and haven’t seen major temperature differences.

Fan’s on the bottom are always exhaust for me. Otherwise, even with a Filter the case tends to accumulate more dust. So, my optimal “case” would be Front/Top intake, Bottom/Rear exhaust with positive air-pressure overall.

SP over AF - Intake over exhaust.

If you only run an exhaust fan, it will draw air from ANYWHERE it can, including around its own shroud if ti is choked off enough. The result can be that it only moves air in its immediate vicinity, and does not pull air from one end of the case to the other.

Running SP over AF because a choked off AF fan is more likely to spin and move nothing than a SP fan.

@psycho_666 @domsch1988 @Kocytean

Interesting takes, we’ll see what works best here. I’m doing a build log and testing multiple fan configurations and running Unigen Heaven to see what makes a difference. will post soon once some more testing is done :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like