[Poll] s/Fedora/Fedora Linux/

The “Fedora Linux” name change is…
  • A sensible documentation tweak
  • Pointless marketing bullshit
  • Yet another step towards “Lenux”

0 voters

As much as I’m leaning towards pointless marketing, when Red Hat Linux was “rebranded” to Red Hat Enterprise Linux they originally called the Fedora Project that for a very short period of time then shortened to Fedora.

In my opinion Fedora needs to deal with serious issues like quality control than branding, last few releases they had to loosen the release deadlines to improve bug/last minute fixes.

3 Likes

I’m not really sure that any of those really apply.

It’s still recognizable, so I guess all they’re doing is trolling RMS at this point.

1 Like

I’m out of the loop. Details please?

@ op, Fedora Linux sounds ok. Debian and Ubuntu are easily recognizable names, but Fedora might pop-up when someone is looking for hats. Just like programming results might turn out when web searching for Void, without the adjacent Linux.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, I asked DuckDuckGo about “fedora”. The vast majority (8/10) of the top results were hat-related, but this was the first hit:

Fedora

It’s interesting that the word “Linux” doesn’t appear in any of that text. It’s also interesting that the first words are “Fedora Labs” — that’s a WTF moment for the uninitiated, right there. You have to go down to hit #4 before Linux gets mentioned at all:

I’m good with that. Trolling RMS is a pastime enjoyed by many.

1 Like

Isn’t that statement contradictory? They loosened the deadline for quality control so uh… what?

Anyway, I don’t really mind the change but I guess it makes sense. Inb4 Fedora BSD coming soon.

Tbh I don’t mind this change, I’ve never really put any though on this before but if Fedora project wants clearly define their linux distribution have at it.

Not gonna lie, this was in my mind first when reading the topic, before looking into it more. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I still calling it Fedora Core.