Plex Media Server

Guys, I’m just here to let everyone know how great plex is for a small home media server. I just installed it today and it’s already up and running just fine, and even has pretty good support for linux! I would like to here peoples thoughts on this as well.

Luckily Plex has gotten quite popular, so people who need that kind of a solution know about it.

But I agree, was pleasantly surprised when I got my chromecast and Plex supported it, great for streaming music through my speakers when I have guests over.

1 Like

Love my freenas plex combo. Streams media to all of my devices including a chrome cast for the big tv.

The only problems I run into with plex is when the app on my tablets auto updates and breaks the plugin. Then I have to go to freenas and update the plugin. A app update should not break the server side. Requiring you to be on a certain server version based on what version of the app you have makes no sense and just makes it difficult to use. Luckily this has only happened 3 times for me.

Yeah, it definitely seems to have its set of bugs for that kind of stuff! It doesn't really love that I'm running it on Linux Mint though, but that seems odd given that mint is ubuntu based. All in all it has been working great, though it stinks that you have to pay to have it streamed to your mobile devices. I just finally got around to getting a little media server, and I don't have a NAS, but that would be a perfect set up I think. I just wanted to share my experience so that others here may be able to find it as useful as I did.

Related question :

I currently run Subsonic on my home server but I was wondering how Plex compares for music streaming? I don't really stream movies, only music.

If anyone has tried both I'd be interested in what you have to say, thanks

The only complaint I have for Plex is that the app costs money, and doesn't allow syncing music locally to a device without paying for their subscription thing. But I suppose they have to make money somewhere lol

Plex is amazing. If you want a media server, use plex. It's that simple lol

I've been using Rasplex for the raspberry PI and having that hooked up to my pc and controlling it with a simple Bluetooth keyboard and it works like a charm. it is really easy to setup and i' d highly recommend it.

I play with both....

First consideration, is Plex is WAY more efficient at streaming. Like a factor of double, or 10 fold.
I can stream maybe two video streams with subsonic on my two core, where as with plex I could pull of 6 plus.

But subsonic is more about music. And I like the iPhone app iSub, probably more than Plex on iOS.
Subsonic seems powerful, and a little easier to make a playlists, or edit meta data. This is kind of pain point on Plex. Plex editing, or like auto filling things is strong, but it just involved like an extra click here and there that bums me out.

So i'm not really sold on either, but kind of keep them around. I paid for a year of subsonic, haven't paid for plex yet. I'll likely buy plex for lifetime if they can't completely lock things down interface wise. Realistically Plex is a much more mature app.

Subsonic would be fun with a group of friends, or college house.

One thing I just noticed..... Plex requires an internet connection, whereas Subsonic does not.
So if you want a fun little off grid lan in your zombie colony, subsonic seems to be the thing.