Plex alternative for photos?

Hi,

I currently run plex on my windows home media server. It works well for my video content however I have started adding photos to it from holidays etc… and found the performance to be lacking both in resolution (compression) and speed (switching between photos) when viewing on my 4k android TV I would note my photos are from a 61mp full frame camera and are well over 40-60mb each when exported to JPG I have tried downsampling to 4k-sized images (approx 12mb size) this is some improvement but inconsistent and still no better visual fidelity despite matching the client resolution.

TLDR - I am looking for a plex alternative that can handle high-fidelity photos, ability to auto tag, show geolocation etc… I have tried jellyfin but it is also very poor although slightly faster viewing perhaps. I also would note I do not want to downsample my images too far to reach high performance as having them on my plex server acts as another backup for me and there is no point if they are not good enough quality in the case of a disaster.

Any good photo media library servers?

Always wanted to try out PhotoPrism, but havent the time or the photos. There are a lot of alternatives in that space though, I also checked out Photoview.

1 Like

Photoprism performs well, the AI stuff is a little disappointing but it’s better than nothing.

1 Like

I’ve been using Photoprism for a while now and I can say that’s it’s really good! Can show all the details about pictures and pulls everything correctly from the exif data.
Performance is okay and you need to pay to get hardware encoding to work for videos. It’s not the easiest to set up (the docker-compose file is pretty massive) but once you got everything figured out you probably won’t make big changes to it.

Yeah, but I find it amusing. For me it created the correct tags 70% of the time, which is not too bad.

1 Like

Photoprism cant do multiuser right now (yes you can only run one account off of it for now). That feature is still in the works last I checked.

Photoprism.