Please suggest software to Sync directory in windows

Hi

I am looking to sync directory from one windows to the other windows (nas/plex server) and reason, so I want to use something good and reliable software to sync the folders and data from my computer to the nas which both of them running windows 10. the transfer speed should be decent I am using Sata ssd’s for storage and will buy SFP+ 10gb.

I think this is the best way to backup everything as it is structured on my workstation to the nas without doing it manually every time and backups only do it with time schedule, I want something that will create a folder the moment on nas when I create a folder on my workstation.

Take a look at SyncThing, it’s been around since 2013-2014. and it’s fairly reliable. A bit of hassle until you figure it out, but it’s good.

What concerns me about your Windows->Windows setup is that if you get a vulnerability such as the one we had for SMB, it may infect both machines with ransomware at the same time. So I hope you have a plan for that scenario.

2 Likes

:3 I have 3rd server that is going to be scheduled Backup Data only (no plex on it) so I plan to use ubuntu on it as I found ubuntu the easiest one for me in the past few years that I dabbled in Linux or True nas to be easier for Data access on mobile apps etc…

but I agree with you 100% and I originally wanted to use ubuntu on the nas/server but want windows because of how I keep finding plex updates and features on windows way before ubuntu. which is my main usage for these devices is to have a plex server on them (1 for friends, 1 for family) + it add some redundancy.

Since both Windows machines will be connected by 10gb have you considered just mapping a drive on your workstation that points directly to the NAS/Plex share? With doing a real-time sync not only will the files show up instantly, but they could also be deleted instantly. If you map the drive this will free up disk space on your workstation for something such as a traditional nightly backup of your NAS. Just another idea.

1 Like

Good point. Still SyncThing does have file versioning capability, so I feel it’s still worth a deeper look. It’s no accident IXSystems maintains official support for it on TrueNAS.

1 Like

that actually is a bonus XD its a positive for me more than negative as I will be cutting and pasting files from one folder to the other to organise things for long time ( huge data) so being deleted instantly is good. then once I finish all that I will setup versioning on and then connect them to the Wan

I started looking into it now (youtube) :smile: love this forums whenever I come here I always have to learn many new things which I benefit from later on (work or just personal)

actually, your method can be very good. it will save me Cost on the Harddisks , so instead of buying double like 8TB (4TBx2HDD) to put 1 in workstation and 1 in nas , I will just buy 1 HDD and map it. however it wont be fast to be read/written from both systems. so I will have to try to keep all the disks ssd’s if possible, maybe look into caching to speed things up.

Right now I have 2X4TB QVO Samsung + 5X8TB HDD. so to convert all those 5 drives into SSD will be $$ , maybe I can look into optane or something to cache all these drives to be fast, also have to add more drives in the budget for backup + expandability.

If you work from a mapped network drive filesystem events may not be emitted as they would on a local machine. Not sure if it matters to you but for example, if you change something in Explorer some other program may not be immediately aware of the change without a re-scan.

1 Like