Please help me pick the KVM set-up for my usecase

Here’s my situation:
I want to use a single monitor for both my HP work laptop and my personal Macbook Pro 16". I also want to share a single keyboard, mouse, speaker, mic and video cam between the two laptops.

I just purchased Gigabyte M34WQ and set it up but two major issues with it - i can only set up key board and a mouse and no video; and the mouse and keyboard not switching to work laptop. I was researching this in Reddit and came across LevelOneTech so made a post here.

Please recommend a set-up that I could use to get to my desired state. I am going to return the Gigabye monitor as well. Please recommend what KVM device, monitor etc I should get. I’m not much of a gamer, I don’t care much about refresh rate etc. One month a year I play WOW but I don’t need anything fancy for it.

Thanks so much for your help.

What res and refresh rate do you want on your monitor?

60 hz - 144hz is good with anywhere from 27-34 in ultra wide monitor

Hi Wendell, eagerly waiting for your reply :slight_smile:

Hey :slight_smile: thanks for the inquiry. Sorry I’m just now seeing this. Can you give me the model number of the hp work laptop? I’m going to look up its video-out options.

HP Elitebook 840 GB SN# SCG2248Q2V

Hm I’m not able to find that serial#. Does your laptop have any thunderbolt usb-c ports?

Yes, I see a thunderbolt symbol in the middle of two USB c ports

I would probably go with the USB-C KVM then:

You’ll be able to charge both laptops and take advantage of the USB-C outputs

I think you mean thats an 840 G8. I use an HP ProBook 450 G8 at work which I connect to a thunderbolt dock and Id assume yours would be about the same.

You are correct, Nec. Thanks for the note. I went back and looked and it’s indeed G8 and not GB.

Thanks so much. Going to purchase it now. Also any specific monitor you recommend based on the specifications I had given earlier?

In good news I would say most monitors will do just fine, it’s more like what wouldnt I recommend lol

We’ve had issues with the Samsung Odyssey series monitors. The firmware is buggy.

There’s a lot of good monitors out there. I would say browse your options. You could even go to Choose A Monitor - PCPartPicker for instance and set various monitor options to figure out which suits your price range :slight_smile: just make sure to get one that has at least 1 DisplayPort input