Please help me debug "hardware" problem under linux

I guess that’s because you were grown up to believe that WIndows is the authority. If the CPU is ‘fine’ in Windows, it must be something else wrong, not the CPU. Once you get rid of this mindset, your problem solved.

The moral aspect of RMA’ing your piece. I would say that Corporate Amercia is not morale to sell marginally binned silicons to begin with.

EDIT:

Btw as previously mentioned very likely you will find equivalent hardware errors in Windows Event log filed under WHEA followed by a number. Have you figured out where to find the event logs? Google should show you tonnes of tutorials.

Since it’s hardware issue (i.e. CPU), I believe you will find equivalent errors in Event log. So that this could settle your worry about the issue being ‘not OS agnostic’

For a RMA, the evidence of hardware errors (i.e. MCEs) in Linux is sufficient. You don’t have to prove it happens in all or major OSes under the sun. BUT the converse is true for manufacturers, they have to ensure their products work in all or major OSes.

Anyway, good luck and hope you’ll have a new start soon.

I did find some with logname ‘Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-WHEA/Errors’ but all event are informational level with nothing of interest in it…
I checked more like i should have and witha custom view i got more of them, Warning and error, all like that

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error

I’ll double and triple check that no OC is set anywhere, and open a RMA

100%, mostly because i’m used to thing never beeing validated on other platform and Fedora running kernel in developement… I mean i need Wendell to know if a motherboard is mostly compatible with linux.

I Guess i should not, but given than most of my hardware don’t work natively and require tweek under linux, i feel like it’s still a safe bet.

This is one example of the same sorts of MCE errors you saw in Linux. I expect Windows Event logs should have retained much more details…

1 Like

I got my CPU back ! it took a while, and aparently AMD support wasn’t friendly about it to the shop, but it in my bag.

I hope to not have any more issue with it as i had a crash free experience since i installed a 5600x in the mean time.

Edit almost 1Y later: crash free :smiley:

1 Like