Please critique this router build, provided by ChatGPT!

Hey all,

I decided to test ChatGPT to see if it could specify a build for a router.

Summarizing, it suggested:

• Asrock J3355B-ITX
  • Intel Atom x5-E3930
  • Kingston A2000 500GB NVMe SSD
  • Kingston KVR24E17D8/16 RAM
  • Noctua NF-A4x10 5V PWM
  • Silverstone Fortress FT05

I pointed out that the motherboard it recommended did not support ECC so it recommended these instead:

• ASRock J4105-ITX
  • Gigabyte B450N WiFi

I asked which were the lowest power of the two and it said the former board with the Celeron processor.

I asked for a 2-port 2.5Gb ethernet card and it suggested these:

• TP-Link TL-SF1005D
  • TP-Link TL-SG105
  • Netgear XS505M

I asked if those ports were compatible with the motherboard and it said “no” and recommended these instead:

• TP-Link TL-SG105PE
  • Netgear XS505M-100NAS

So:

1. How good of a job did it do?
  2. Would it’s final set of recommendations work together as a unit?
  3. Would it be a good router?
  4. Or should it have done a much better job recommending?
  5. and if so, what would have been a better set of recommendations?

The chat log can be found here.

Thanks, and have fun!

-Mike

There is a notice that Chat GPT3 does not have data newer than 2021, hence it can’t tell you current models of CPUs, Mobos, RAM etc.

Just to keep in mind. :wink:

1 Like

That motherboard already has a built-in CPU, so you cannot install other CPU into it. 500 GB NVME SSD? seems overkill. 16 GB of ram is also overkill. 5V Noctua fan and a 40mmx10mm size is what you would use for a U1 rack mount, but not for that PC case. Also you normally need a 12V fan for a motherboard, not 5V.

1 Like

The CPu is going to be fine for routing at 2.5Gbps, maybe packet filtering with a few rules, possibly Wireguard at gigabit, definitely not OpenVpn/IPSEC
It looks to me like a build that could support IDS/IPS functionality based on memory and storage, but not based on CPU, so I personally would go either with 4GB ram, a 32GB SATADOM if only routing, or a much beefier cpu if needing layer 7 stuff

Did you give Mpps and/or power consumption specifications?

1 Like

One fairly obvious issue is the celeron motherboard doesn’t support ECC.

Otherwise seems reasonable enough.

1 Like

Thanks all! So it seems like ChatGPT won’t be causing anyone with any expertise to be loosing their day jobs, at least not yet. :slightly_smiling_face:

Would love to see some of your post your full system recommendations for these requirements, if you have the time and inclination.

Not exactly. You can see the link to the full chat I included in the question post above.

Haven’t played with it too much, the impression is that it does a pretty good job, given a general question, to point you in the right direction for discovering/implementing features more in detail.
If you want answers for a very specific use case you’ll have to detail it so much so that you probably are leading the answer anyway, especially for very specific requirements/use cases for which there isn’t a one size fits all answer anyway…

1 Like

Not exactly a compact build, given the size of the FT05 case:

Dimension

221mm (W) x 483mm (H) x 427mm (D), 46 liters
8.7" (W) x 19.02" (H) x 16.81" (D), 46 liters

Right? :astonished:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.