Playstation 2

The biggest failure is a rubber band stops catching and the laser gets stuck in a mode ig the ps2 only plays dvds only plays cds only plays blue discs

This was the big failure of the fat ps2

The slim the laser just fails outright

Parts are cheap and finding working ps2s fairly ez still

If you wanna prevent try using the network to load games

If you got a older ps2 fat with the ilink port (FireWire) there is a group trying to get games to load off that

their big picture controller settings, can be used to map generic controllers, but i use x360ce or whatever its called

1 Like

also the ps2-usb adapter that you can buy fro 99$ from china just maps as a generic controller

1 Like

There’s a hard drive option for the phat PS2 and a software mod that boots a modifed BIOS allowing loaded games on a HDD to run. The PS2 itself can’t really get the games off of disc, so you need to put the discs in elsewhere.

As long as the games are all ones you own, it’s okay.

2 Likes

Freemcboot is a option like you speak the ps2 had a built in firmware updated but because there was no storage on the main board they updated it via the memory card slot so a freemcboot loaded memory card can do I have one set up on my fat tho network is way faster

1 Like

i should keep my ps2 thread alive with the most news and some of ym collection growing
https://cturt.github.io/freedvdboot.html

free dvd boot allows you to boot burned back ups w/o hard modding the ps2 console

and some games

ffx greatest hits now i have black and red case cib spyro and ball breakers were some fun games as a kid i loved spyro

Oh yeah I meant to link a video about that… I think I though it might not be allowed, something something piracy or how to high seas plunder not allowed on the forum, but it is really interesting technically.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS ONLY FOR BACKING UP LEGALLY OWNED GAMES AND NOT FOR PIRACY.

There that should keep people happy…

2 Likes

piracy is not the goal data preservation is i can now use my games that i backed up but the og disc no longer can be repaired (buffed) or ripped or played

its been a pain for most users to need a modded ps2 to play back ups

and sony ended ps2 repair even in japan some time ago. and alot of 3rd parties have moved on to newer stuff… alot of diy tools are nice to have to keep consoles going its at the point i repair ps2’s as much as PowerPc macintoshes these days

1 Like

Yeah I know that but it is always tricky to try and explain;

Yes it allows piracy to happen but that is not what I am using it for

I have the same problem currently, it is not dead yet, not are my games broken yet but the drive is on the way out. So I will have need for this too, but I also have a FreeMCBoot set up.

1 Like

freemcboot and smb load is the best route fixes load times and cutscenes if loading from usb cut scenes are hell

1 Like

I need to get a Net kit for my Phat. Eventually.

1 Like

wonder if anyone has ever used a SSD with the networking adapter

not for the fast transfer speed but for the latency and little tiny files that a HDD has to pick and find

1 Like

I mean it’s not really worth it pata speeds and even with sata upgrade they are slow af networking where it’s at

There’s not enough ram for having a ssd be worth it you would end up in the same bottle neck

thought the ATA 133 would be faster than the 100 base T

or does it run at a slower standard

You have issues in loading the files and real world speed network is always faster

And yes is always default slow af

nice read about the inner workings
https://www.copetti.org/projects/consoles/playstation-2/

3 Likes

usb ps2 controller adapters and others i use in emus

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-what-new-thing-you-acquired-recently/149881/9500?u=thekitchensink

reviving my ps2 thread

attempting to back up my memory card ive gotten a vintage 20year old sharkport

before doing so and openign the shark port i noticed there is some corrosion being from florida i expected this

3 Likes

I wish I had done this before my PS2 was stolen in College. I do play some of my PS2 games on my BC PS3s but some of them I have not gotten into because of how much save data I had. Some games are not the same if you don’t have 100% complete; and I don’t have that much time to sink into 20+ year old games.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.