I recently heard about Zabbix being a possible open source tool to train yourself on template building for enterprise level related network management tools. My goal will be to use it as if I’m running something like Orion, Dynamo, or Cisco DNA center. I may as well put my CCNA to use while I die in Help Desk land.
I have had to use a lot of AI help because I’m running on catchy OS currently while testing it out. Lot of dependencies and what not I had to install.
At some point I’ll probably have a separate laptop or micro PC I’ll make use of with Mint. Has anyone else tried it out?
My main experience with Zabbix was as a NOC member using it for alerting and monitoring of various systems.
Less so on the management side of things, although I did do some tweaks here and there. It’s been a few years at this point though. I might have to spin up a VM and check it out again.
I used Zabbix at work (NOC stuff) for monitoring and alerting, as an alternative to Nagios, over a decade ago. I don’t know what it’s like today so I’m surprised to see it framed as a network management tool. I will say though that I did not like its UI back then and because of that wrote a TUI dashboard/CLI for myself and my coworkers for keeping tabs on alerts and acknowledging them during triage.
That said, it is definitely something I would be pulling a prebuilt image and running a container for instead of installing it to my own desktop…