Play by Post Games on this forum?

Has anyone thought about GMing a PbP (play by post) game on this forum? You know, like D&D, or some other roleplaying system? Or a wargame?

If there's a lot of people on here, maybe we could have our own sub-community?

That sounds like fun. I have never played D&D, because I have no friends who are willing to give it a try. But it sounds like a great 'game?' If this was a thing I would gladly partake. Even if I die every time, over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

Assuming you die in D&D? I really dont know anything about it except that its suposed to rely on creativity and fast reasoning? I could be comletely wrong...

Well, it wouldn't necessarily be D&D. I really meant running any sort of pbp rpg or wargame on here.

In pbp RPGs, you create a character, and if you die, you have to create a new one. The odds of death depend on the GM (the game master). Usually there isn't much 'game' per se, other than the power of the player to choose how their character acts in any situation that comes up within the plot of the game. Everything else is handled by dice rolling, and the character's 'skills' usually give them a bonus to certain actions (increased odds of success), while their 'abilities' dictate any rules-breaking things they can do (ie. if I had the superpower of flight, I could fly, when most human characters normally can't fly; having only two arms and two legs, no wings, etc.).

And the plot can be about anything (within forum rules!) - that's the primary appeal of pen and paper, or play-by-post RPGs. People can create any sort of nuanced character they like, though many settings tend to favour certain types of characters over others (ie. D&D usually expects adventuresome types).

To me, D&D as a roleplaying system is rather convoluted and rules heavy.

I've tried my hand at designing other systems to accomodate other settings/genres and player objectives. Ie. Say you wanted to do something besides explore a dungeon or adventure with a small group. Say you wanted to build a kingdom and conquer the lands and raise an army and grow an economy - well, I've been working on a system to accomodate that.

Most pbp forums I've been to have been about D&D or other popular systems such as Mutants and Masterminds. I've been trying to host games that involved other things besides adventuring in a fantasy world where magic would solve most problems. I've been trying to test more realistic games I've been hammering together to see if they're actually fun, but most of the communities I've been to are hard pressed to actually come up with people interested in anything new - and many of those communities are heavily regulated, preferring to tone down the action to PG-13 levels, so that they can accrue google ads revenue, and such.

That's why I'm interested in seeing if any sort of community can grow on these forums.

Wow, that was fucking long winded. Ah well, those are my thoughts on the matter. What do you think?