Pixio PX325c: 144hz 1080p Curved Monitor | Level One Techs

Here you can find the full color profiles for the Pixio PX325C. For this review we:

1. Measured the display input speed (what is the refresh rate reported to the PC via the minitor EDID)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/pixio-px325c-144hz-1080p-curved-monitor
5 Likes
4 Likes

Really nice monitor… but what are we EU peasants doing in order to get them?

@wendell After you calibrate your monitor, the calibration software usually has a validation mode that will run through a series of color panels and check the as displayed colors with the puck against its database of correct values. The Pixio probably only supports sRGB color Gamut.

the spyder5pro software is not fully featured. Im not sure that it measures the Luminance value of the screen. The Elite version does but it costs extra. There are better calibration programs around that will make use of the spyder5 hardware. here is an open source one called displaycal

https://displaycal.net/ is full featured and supports both Windows and Linux

At the end of the validation test, it will give you a validation report with a Δ value together with the white balance colour temp and the luminance value that the calibration has set. The Δ value shows how far off from perfect it is which is represented as Δ0. Δ3 or less is considered good.

Luminance should be set at 120 for a normally lit room. The spyder5Pro software may not measure luminance

For most things 6500K (D65) is a good color temp that matches warm daylight. 5500K will end up looking a bit cool

< Δ3 , 120, 6500 are the validation values that you should be aiming for and it means that the calibration is pretty accurate

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve been looking for a monitor recently, and I will definitely look more into this monitor.

Also, in the future could you guys maybe do a video on how you can “add freesync” to a monitor using CRU? Besides on Reddit, there doesn’t seem to be much information about this topic.

We don’t, as usual :frowning:

The only offering on ebay says shipping to US only… you can contact the seller but… yeah. Shipping costs gonna be like 150€… at that point you can just get the corresponding Samsung Monitor. Speaking of… which monitors use this panel? Because the only 32’’ Full HD curved I can find here is a ViewSonic.

Was about time you got that Spyder already though… rambling on about it for months :stuck_out_tongue:

@wendell
The aforementioned PDF report is missing.

oops, updated the original article

@gtbtk can you take a peek at that PDF? I haven’t had a chance to tinker with displaycal but it looks beyond insane.

The spyder had me calibrate for a luminance of 90 to do its measurements for whatever reason. I thought that was a bit low/odd…

Here is another free professional based software that can be used to validate calibrations that may be easier to use than display cal just for validation.

The spectracal report software is the same software that Linus uses when he does monitor reviews and tests the display’s default color accuracy. I don’t think the free one lets you actually calibrate the monitor though, you can continue using the spyder software or start using displaycal, which is much more full featured and will give you more accurate results as it can adjust more settings than the base Spyder software.

@wendell Just took a look at the report.

The monitor is 100% sRGB. That is perfectly fine for general use. Web browsers will display untagged photographs in the sRGB color space and is the default color space for PCs and the internet. Great for gaming and general office tasks.

Luminance is dependent on the environment that you are working in. 90 is ok if you are working in a dim room without outside windows or if you use the monitor at night time. 120 is about right in a room that is open and well lit but without direct sunlight shining on the monitor. Examples being an open room with lots of daylight. You may need 160 in a bright studio with lots of bright camera lights. Rule of thumb is If you need sunglasses to look at the monitor it then you have it set too high. I do not know if the base spyder software allows you to manually set the luminance setting you want to use.

The Gamma is set to a level of about 2.0. Windows and Linux default is 2.2 and will make the monitor appear to have more contrast. Old Macs used to use a gamma of 1.8 and that looks more washed out.

The default brightness setting may be set too high for the software to adjust accurately for a luminance setting of 90. Does the spider software ask you to adjust either brightness or contrast during the calibration process?

The graph that has Kelvin/Input RGB is showing the colour temperature response of the monitor. The range the graph is showing is 9700K - 7800K which will make whites look more blue. Many monitors default to 9500K because the bluish whites look really bright in a show room demo area. For comfortable and reasonably accurate colors, you want it to be running at about 6500K which is close to daylight.

In the color section of the monitor menu, you can select 6500K in the color temp section. If it is already set to 6500K, the monitor may not be factory calibrated to 6500K that accurately. As a budget product, it would not be surprising if that is the case.

The menu does have has a “user defined” color temp option that will let you set the monitor menu to say 5000K or 5500K that will allow you to fine tune the actual output colour temp to a validated 6500K.

The shadows also look like the blues are being boosted. The “others” section of the monitor menu has an option
to adjust low blues. I would start with that turned Off and let the calibration software take care of it. in fact you will get the best calibrations if all the “picture enhancement” features are turned off.