Pixar Film Production now fully uses Linux and OpenGL ( video )

I think that pretty much sums it up with game companies, and it's sadly what is killing a lot of companies too being ran by shareholders and management who have no idea or interest in the gaming industry, company like Capcom comes to mind were once top of the hill, allowed their company to be run by shareholders now look at them.. But yes I think you're totally right there. (I don't want to de-rail your topic too much even though it's super fascinating)

getting a company to port it in a wrapper is fairly easy

From what I've followed it isn't really all that easy. In fact when they did it for the Witcher 2 they ran into a kernel issue where Linus himself responded on Github. So, did it really pay off in the end? Well, from the perspective of the guys behind the Witcher not really - Witcher 3 is currently Windows only. The game has yet to be ported, and its been out for over a year.

Do they really not want 2.8 million potential customers ? how many businesses would turn their noses up at that ?

Even if there are 2.8 million linux gamers I doubt people play the same type of games (I personally hate shooters for example).

Don't get me wrong, I want Linux succeed - aside from work I use Linux exclusively at this stage. I'm just skeptical that the problems Linux has have really been resolved.

Just on your first point virtual programming did indeed have that issue patched from Linus for their Eon engine but it was transferable to every Eon wrapped game previous and future, the changes are not always game specific but wrapper specific. I don't claim it to be really easy its just that once you reach a level with the porting technology it does tend to flow a lot quicker.

Also with regards to TW3, check out the very recent cluster f**k with their PR statement saying it was never planned. TW3 isn't ported because its impossible its not ported because they didn't care enough or forgot. Then there is middle ware which makes constitutes the majority of reasons Linux isnt getting a lot of ports, game devs don't begin a game with Linux in mind, use 3rd party middle ware, decide to port to Linux and get stuck with a lack of alternatives.

TW3 isn't ported because its impossible its not ported because they didn't care enough or forgot.

Well, why didn't they care enough for it? Not enough users to care I'm guessing. From the perspective of a company, it is probably more cost effective to just force Linux users to dual boot Windows or use Wine (which they already do probably). In other words, not worth the cost of implementing for Linux.

Sadly true. But its a shame from such a revered PC game dev like cd:rp that they can't reach out to the community and be all cool like. Makes it feel like they are really just another mega corp with a really good PR team.

I wonder why they use Linux? Maybe its because of the clustering required for the final render? Looked around, wasn't able to find details on this.

why wouldn't they...

Thank you for posting this ! I'm eager to see what I can do with this software. Maybe get off of Cinema 4D...

1 Like

Due to the native OpenGL environment, also where it's a much more open platform they can do pretty much whatever they wish it, and there is no data collection either to keep everything all stop secret. Not to mention the performance benefits.

Apparently there is actually a Linux version of C4D however you need to be part of a big corp' to get it, sadly.

1 Like

True, and per seat licensing costs & possibly a better integration with the back end rendering clusters and better backups ( ZFS pools ) etc.. then there is the random windows updates, viruses, trojans etc..

1 Like

ADobe is already getting their ass handed to them in photo production via Darktable. We have lightworks and Divinci Resolve, so video editing is not a problem. We have inkscape and theres a much more proffesional platform in testing right now thats getting talked about on IRC. Why would we need adobe?

Oh yeah, and we have blender. We can have all the after effects we want.

Fuck adobe.

1 Like