Pinning Alder/Raptor Lake P and E cores to VM's/Containers

I’ve been doing research for a home server build and come across posts that mention Linux experiences scheduling issues related to the different cores for 12th and 13th gen Intel. Could these issues be circumvented by pinning cores to VM’s/containers?

This was the solution I used when I was playing around with a 13600K as a possible processor for my next VFIO workstation. I had my Windows VM pinned to the six P-cores and a few smaller VMs pinned to different E-cores. Unfortunately I was getting a lot of split locks and some noticeable pausing and stuttering in Windows. I wasn’t able to figure out a solution but to be honest I didn’t spend a ton of time on it.

I am considering combining my gaming machine with the server, so I’ve been looking into VFIO too (and dual-system cases and setups). My thought was to pin P cores to the Windows VM and leave all the E cores to the server.

Unless someone else has had success or other experience, I’d venture to say the AI scheduling internal to the chips is no compatible with VFIO and other server functions.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.