PiHole meets next generation

Wasn’t sure if anyone caught the new theme for pihole, but figured @wendell might get a kick out of it:

15 Likes

:vulcan_salute: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

and now I need a pi hole

3 Likes

Woot woot… time to update! Love it TNG forever!

While I know it would be completely unneccessary for my purposes, the fancy Dashboards Pihole give you makes me want to switch away from OPNsense’s integrated Unbound.

1 Like

This is exactly why I switched, wanted an easier way to diagnose problems and an easy way to add/manage DNS entries. They recently added a GUI for adding cname records. It saves me the headache of taking the DNS events out of the firewall, ingesting them, and then creating dashboards.

However it doesn’t include reverse lookups (unless you use it as a DHCP as well), so I still have my firewall as an upstream DNS.

2 Likes

There is a Conditional Forwarding option at the bottom of Settings → DNS that will forward local reverse lookups to your DHCP server. But can only specify one CIDR notation so won’t work well in a L3 setup.

2 Likes

It’s ok so long as your multiple subnets still fall within a similar schema. Taking a 192.168.0 and 192.168.1 and just conditional set to /16. Or you can just use the firewall/DHCP as an upstream DNS server so all unknown requests (including PTR) go to it. Then have your firewall / DHCP forward to your favorite public DNS.

1 Like

I use pi-hole with unbound for a recursive stack with DNSSEC… Its worked very well for me. Dunno if this applies to this situation… if not disregard.

4 Likes

That’s what the CSS looks like? Looks dreadful.

Reminds me of websites circa 2004.

2 Likes

I missed the joke or reference here, but I will add that I was blown away by the effectiveness of the basic PiHole install. Although, be sure to tell everyone on the network about the new tool. In my case, I had a very confused partner unable to access broken social media referral links :laughing:

I have a lot to learn about how to better use PiHole, how DNS freaking works generally, etc.

1 Like

Are you talking about how the CSS is written, or its visual appearance?

If the latter, you should be aware that it is intentionally avoiding a modern design, and trying to match the style of LCARS as used by Star Trek: Next Generation

1 Like

Ah thank you, I did not get the reference.

I do this as well

I like the style of this theme but the text is too narrow for me to comfotably read yhe domain names. Is there any plans to offer a thicker / wider text for visibility?

1 Like

Also I think something changed with this theme. Paading now pushes every element to the right and I cannot use the menu, nor see the query log page.

1 Like

This is a browser scaling issue on mobile. In F-droids Fennec with anything over 100% scaling pushes the theme elements right.