Picking Ram

Hi guys,

I made a post before and it really helped clarify what I should be looking at for my new build and I have narrowed my search for ram down and just wanted to double check my understanding was correct.

From all my reading if I get a 3200 cl 14 kit (Samsung B-Die) these kits should be able to clock into the desired range of 3600 without problem and from what I read with pretty good latency. Is this correct?

Also these are the kits I am looking at:
F4-3200C14D-32GVK
F4-3200C14D-32GTZR

The motherboard I plan on getting is the Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master

1. I don’t think either is “AMD Tested”, will this be a issue?
  2. Is there a quality difference between the Ripjaw and the trident z kits? or is it all just down to RGB? The timings are the same
  3. I belive these kits are dual rank kits…which I believe is a good thing for Ryzen correct?
  4. Would these be able to OC just as well the 16 gb kits? Again the timings match and only difference is capacity

Thanks

Hello,

Yes you should be fine. That doesn’t mean it’s a given as there is silicon lottery involved with both the mem IC’s and CPUs IMC but, more than not have had success.

I have that same board and I have thrown multiple kits at it with most being 2x16 (dual rank) B-die kits with great results. I hate to point to other forums but you will find many interesting and helpful reads at overclocker.net - hit up the x570 Aorus Owners thread.

In this scenario I am going to say no, it is not an issue. This is my opinion and experience. I might suggest DRAM calculator and Thaiphoon burner - using Thaiphoon burner to export your dimm info and importing that in to DRAM calculator for your initial settings. Non AMD certified kits are using Intels interpretation for XMP profile settings vs AMD - using the Ryzen DRAM calculator you sort of skirt the issue.

FWIW -I have never used an “AMD certified” kit in any of my four Ryzen builds.

I did not look it up to be sure - but I believe the mem ICs are the same and its down to heatsinks and diffs in PCBs to support RGB

Again, my opinion - Yes there is some benefit to dual rank kits for the interleaving advantages - however, they can be more difficult to clock faster - but as you are not planning on anything extreme you should be fine.

Sort of answered this in #3 but, in the scenario you stated of trying to reach 3600 my personal experience says yes you will be fine.

Where you may have an issue and it doesn’t revolve around your actual mem kit is … and I am assuming you are looking OC to 3600 so that you can hit that “magic” sweet spot of 3600 MCLK and 1800 FCLK - The FCLK is dependent again on CPU and silicon lottery - just have to put that out there as there are some that can’t do that. But those are the exception Most the 3000 are capable of that and beyond.

Hope that helps some. Have fun with your build!

Thanks for the response Delta9k!

A few more questions if that is ok.

1. If I get a 4 dimm kit that are all single rank will the Ryzen memory controller treat these as they are dual rank dimms (I get the advantages of dual rank) or is that not how it works?

2. In regards to the B-Die memory. You are correct I am targetting the sweet spot and not like a 4000 mhz OC, and in fact may go lower than that depending on the timing I achieve. With that said I believe some of the Trident Neo kits are not that much more. Would I be better off getting a kit that starts at 3600 and then clocking up or making the timings tighter. Just wondering if there is much room with these kits to clock higher or if they just took a 3200 kit and binned them?

3. In regards to the Trident Z Neo kits, do we have any information about what die they use? I am not seeing much info and none of the kits are listed on b-die finder.

Thanks

No, that is not how it works - you will have four single rank dimms. Single vs dual rank happens on the dimms single rank dimms assuming 1GB ICs for conversation, will have 8 1GB ICs on the PCB generally all on one side. Dual rank dimms would have 16 1GB ICs 8 on one side of PCB 8 on the other. Think of it as doublesided ram vs single sided - for a non technical analogy.

Personally if they are not that much more money I’d go with a kit that is already at or close to what you are trying to achieve. If you went for a kit rated a 3600 CL14 you’re pretty much assured that you will get that. As the kit is was tested at the speed and timings and is “guaranteed” to work there vs a bit of a gamble on a kit that was tested and guaranteed to work at 3200 but may be possible to overclock.

I thought I had read in a marketing slick that they are b-die - I am not sure. Also if not on b-die finder - they may be just to new to be in the database. Either way they are good kits (NEO) and are specifically tuned for AMD - so I would imagine no matter what the ICs actually are you’d be good to go - G.Skill does not mess around and they back what they sell. Corsair and G.Skill are my go -to’s for mem kits both outfits have always done me right.

Perfect thanks for the response. I figured it didn’t work like that but I wanted to double check.

As for the two kits being close in price I relized the latency for the 3600 was CL16. The CL14 is double the price if I recall so not worth it. I did have a quick question though about the 3200 CL 14 Trident ram non Ryzen Ram vs Trident Neo’s

I am looking at the following sets:

• F4-3200C14D-32GTZN (Trident Neo)
  • F4-3200C14D-32GTZR (Non Ryzen Specific Trident Ram)

I can get the older GTZR set for 40 dollars (Canadian Pesos) less then the Trident Z. Is there a advantage to using Ryzen specific ram? I am assuming they will both clock the same (of course taking silicon lottery out of the mix) so should both have the same chance of hitting 3600 CL 14 mark?

Or is there something I am missing? I am leaning towards getting the GTZR (non Ryzen kit) and saving the 40 bucks unless there is a valid reason to get Neo’s.

Thanks

I think you’ll be fine either route, honestly. Saving money is always nice.