Phyllome OS : VM's as main compute environment

Thought this would be interesting to people here:

Looks like a new distro focusing on gpu passthrough - think of it as Proxmox or Unraid but with a GUI, or Qubes OS but not primarily focused on security

2 Likes

Definitely interesting. I don’t have time to look into it right now, but I’ll keep it on my radar.

I haven’t had time to read the proposal yet, but on the surface it doesn’t seem to offer anything Qubes doesn’t already.

If it offers GPU passthrough, pretty sure Qubes doesn’t (and by design, Qubes doesn’t/isn’t supposed to trust hardware so its kinda against the philosophy of it).

At least not out of the box, and it’s undocumented.

Qubes absolutely supports PCIe passthrough. How to use PCI devices | Qubes OS

1 Like

Hmm perhaps this changed since last I looked.

Last I checked, they recommend against it due to security concerns. Has that changed?

It increases the chance of a bug that can escalate out of the VM and into dom0 for sure, but this new OS will have the same problem, it’s just an inherent risk of passing through a hardware device to an untrusted environment. The likelihood of such an attack (this is approaching nation-state level actor) on your average gamer though is extremely, extremely low and you still get the benefits of having your gaming VM separate from your banking VM, etc…

I’ve talked to the guy who made Phyllome! It’s very cool and I think the project will go far. I especially like the kickstart files feature.

1 Like