PHPMyAdmin having an issue with connecting to a MySQL database it could connect to before re-installation

So, I have PHPMyAdmin on a LAP server (no MySQL on that server). I have MySQL on a different server on the LAN. The MySQL package I'm using is MariaDB on the server hosting MySQL, and the LAP server has mariadb-client package (tools for MySQL clients).

I had to rebuild the LAP server because updating broke a web service and I didn't do a backup (not happening again).

Before, PHPMyAdmin could connect just fine once I'd configured it correctly (editing config.inc.php to point to the MySQL server). If I use command line, I can use MySQL on the LAP server to connect to the MySQL Database on the server hosting MySQL (so the client tools are working fine).

However, after installing PHPMyAdmin again and reconfiguring Apache and such, PHPMyAdmin gives me the following error when I try to login:

#2002 - No such file or directory — The server is not responding (or the local server's socket is not correctly configured).

<login credentials>

mysqli_real_connect(): (HY000/2002): No such file or directory

&mdash makes me think it's not using the IP address like it's supposed to. My config.inc.php file:

/**
 * First server
 */
$i++;
/* Authentication type */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';
/* Server parameters */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = '10.0.1.101';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress'] = false;
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = false;

Considering I can connect to the MySQL server via CLI, it's not a connection issue or a MySQL client issue.

I have searched but I can't find anything I haven't done to try and fix it.

Do you know which port php tries to connect to? Do you use the default port on the remote?

id slap wireshark on there to investigate further.