Photo editing station / gaming station

Hello guyz,

My girlfriend need a new computer .
She will need to run photoshop mostly and some games (maybe some AAA but not sure).

I made this config and would like your advice
CPU: RYZEN 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Memory: G.skill Ripjaws DDR4 2x16Gb 3000Mhz CL16
Storage Main: PNY XLR8 CS3030 500GB NVME
Storage Scd: Seagate IronWolf Pro 2TB
GPU: Gygabite GTX1660 SUPER 6GB GAMING OC
Power Supply: SeaSonic FICUS 550W 80+ Gold Full modular

The budget is arround 1k€ something like that.

Best Regards to all and thank you in advance

If she’s doing a lot of Photoshopping and Creative Suite work, Intel might be a better fit - it renders images significantly faster in that software suite.

Other than that I would bump memory to 3200 MHz or 3600 MHz and dump the secondary storage in favor of a bigger NVMe, ideally 2TB though €170 might be a tough sell. That slooooow secondary storage is only going to hurt more and more, going forward.

Decent build otherwise. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry for double post, here is a Geizhalz.eu build with your specific hardware plus my suggestions. At €911.89, that leaves roughly €100 for a case and any extra peripherals. RAM could be buffed to 3600MHz, PSU could do with an extra 100W just to be on the safe side, but solid build.

The storage is the biggest pain point right now, just above comfortable levels for now - but you’ll thank me later. We’re at the point where mechanical harddrives are getting too slow but the SSDs are not quite there yet in price, but the transition is really happening now.

Part Model Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600X € 199
Memory 2x8GB @ 3200MHz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX black DIMM kit € 56.80
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk € 148.90
PSU Seasonic Focus GX 550W ATX € 74.80
Storage Crucial P1 SSD 2TB NVMe € 208.39
GPU Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER mini ITX OC 6G € 224.00
Total € 911.89
1 Like

I second @wertigon’s suggestion on ditching the spinning disks in favor of a larger NVMe drive. Pricier, but there is less pain going forward, especially with large files.

Might just be me, but I’d personally got for a used GTX 1070 (depending on availability in your area) over the 1660 Super. Can usually get it cheaper and it handles gaming a little better. Just a thought :slight_smile:

Otherwise I agree it’s a solid build for the purpose you’ve listed!

Just for reference: The 9900k has almost the same score as a 3600
(According to puget systems and GN data, a bit apples to orranges, so grain of salt)

Can’t find any data, but I would guesstimate the 3600x to be equal to the 10700k in Photoshop.

I did choose the ryzen 5 3600 or X following market price and promotion because LMG shows it in a budget editing station for 4K video and it worked well.

I’m also septical on the graphics card. I hope to have some discount maybe for a RTX .

Also the ram I will keep 32Go of ram cause my wife open many many art in same times and photoshop take a lot of ram.

Also I like the idea of having a big NVME but i think it’s most wisely to separate software storage from file storage . What do you think about it ?

Yeah, it’s a good enough CPU for now. The 3600 is €25 less than the 3600X, either one is fine.

My bad, I misread that as 16GB not 2x16GB. Teamgroup, a no-name brand has a good 3600 MHz option at €106.79, should work but otherwise a G.Skill or Kingston 3200 MHz stick kit is available at roughly the same price. 3600 with good brand is another 20-25 euro.

To be honest, at the suggested price point you won’t be getting much better performance for now. You want to go RTX-class, you will need to plunk down at least €500.

This could be very easily achieved with partitions - But you are right in that it is a lot less hassle to work with two separate drives. Unfortunately Windows and it’s applications can easily grow to 100s of gigs even without games - with games, it’ll be even worse. I would in that case invest in a 1TB NVMe drive for now and look at getting a 2TB or even 4TB SSD later.

It’ll just be so much easier with a 4k editing rig to go full SATA, than having to start every editing session with 30 minutes of copying clips over from the mechanical drive. Also, have a look at solutions for hot swapable harddrives, really helps with getting footage from cameras if your camera is new enough to support that ofc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.