Phase change cooling 24/7 is it possible?

Thinking about looking into phase change cooling. With one of those refrigerator compressors. If I can get to 5ghz on 64 cores, under water, how high should I expect to get with a 24/7 phase change?

1 Like

Use a tek cooler trust me

1 Like

EK does not have one for AMD, and their Intel version is sold out?

1 Like

most of the time you have to put a TEK cooler together, or find someone’s design. IDK what all there is for manufac’d TEK’s out there. I saw an LTT vid to the EK one for intel recently, but nothing else rly. You’ll save a lot on power tho.

1 Like

There’s the Phoronix one, but it doesn’t cool that well. The refrigerator compress hits -30 celcius. I’m trying to run 24/7 at 6 ghz if possible. Going to cover the board in water proof puddy. Getting cheap power to run the computers.

Looks like a TEC cooler might be better, but it will need a lot more components, including a separate loop for the TEC.

1 Like

You’re going to need a dehumidified intake, or your CPUs will be underwater in a day.

2 Likes

Can I just dunk the mobo and everything in mineral oil or Novec?

3 Likes

Mineral oil would be a bad time, but Novec is an option. Doesn’t that kind of defeat the point of using a compressor/TEC at that point though, unless you used it to cool the Novec itself.

1 Like

Someone from Reddit just reccomended mineral oil or Novec. As far as, I understand you want to slather the board in vaseline, and melt it down into all of the sockets and such, and put clay on or some other substance to protect the components?

Yeah, I don’t think Novec would work with this unit.

1 Like

I ran my router in canola oil for several years without a problem back when it would overheat when torrenting. Maybe give that a try.

2 Likes

@Zerophase, sounds like they were suggesting using Novec in lieu of the vaseline mess. Maybe just having the CPU/memory part of the board submerged?

2 Likes

For sure. I also have a passively cooled gpu. This sounds super touch and go, and any fuck up could destroy $10k worth of hardware. I think I’d only do this if I could get Der8auer to advise me. Plus it’s super expensive to run the phase change cooler, and water is like 120 watts tops for a shit ton of fans, and pump.

1 Like

I mean, not to mention running 64 cores at 5ghz…

What’s it needed for, anyway?

2 Likes

I saw this quite a bit a few years ago, as long as there are no moving parts, except fans apparently, it seems to be just fine. Lots of tank in tank fish tank PCs.

Maintenance is not easy though but it works just fine. Not sure about the cooling capacity.

2 Likes

I would probably stay away from mineral oil, novec is an option but would not advise it if you need to upgrade / swap parts a lot.

2 Likes

Oh yeah not recommending it at all, just setting it out that it is not a “bad time” for any real reason, it works fine and is not directly harmful to the parts.

No idea about novec, only ever seen videos of it in action, never a long term use case.

EDIT: Puget Systems used to offer them, they did not stop because it was bad but because of legal challenges and licensing costs from patent holders… woo, but here is a years running write up they kept on them.

4 Likes

The mess alone would make me never want to do it

3 Likes

The best and only Option for this is an chillbox.

Build an waterchiller and the first Heatexchanger in that Loop is chilling the Air INSIDE an Box with your Hardware inside.

Low Air temp means lesser water in it and a much lower dew Point on Ambient pressure.

After that comes the CPU and or GPU Block.

Its a fun and quite Safe Project to do.

I did it all for fun, i used an old wine cooler as confinement and an hailea 1500 as cooler

1 Like

Cpu Mining. I think the phase change cooler uses too much power in the first place. I’m expecting 4.5ghz tops on some of the ccxs. It’s my understanding you can get the best clocks at the lowest voltages manually overclocking each ccx. I think I can at least match PBO at lower voltages.

1 Like

if you have a spring or a deep well nearby, you could just harness that water for cooling and pump it right back down there or water plants with it.

1 Like