Phanteks AIO Clunking sound

Here’s the deal. I had it front mounted in an NZXT H510i for awhile. I got a Corsair 4000D Mesh and since I had the space, I decided to mount it up top instead. Ever since, under gaming loads, it will occassionally say once very 5-10mins, CLUNK! It never clunked when it was vertical mounted in the NZXT case

Temps are always fine. At idle I’m currently sitting at 35c, under heavy load I’ve maxed at 65c during video renders.
It usually clunks once the temps hit around 55c+, and as I said it’s maybe once every 5-10mins but it’s loud. I can hear it when wearing headphones.

I have taken it out and tilted it around hoping to move any air bubbles and even swapped the orientation, meaning the cables from right to left side, but it doesn’t help.

I am fixing to take it out and put it back into a vertical front panel mount in the this Corsair case and see what it does. I have always mounted them with the hoses top mounted, as long as the pump is below the tank there, it should be fine, right? Since the GamersNexus video last year, now I think I should mount the hoses downwards in the case instead? But that just seems like you are now putting the pump ABOVE the water like they said you shouldn’t do. Or does it matter as long as the bottom holding tank of the AIO is still above the pump?

So confused right now … it’s not a good thinking day :slight_smile:

Yeh, well, since I could never find a resolution as to WHY this damn thing is clunking, I just ripped it out, put my Hyper 212 Evo back in, and took the rad fans from the AIO and put them in as case fans.

I’m done with AIO’s. I’ve had a Corsair and this Phanteks that both developed a clunk within 6 months for both of them.

Yeah clunking not good - likely water is not flowing smoothly at best

Well to update the saga here …

It still clunked after taking out the AIO. Color me surprised. The only other thing in my system that was mechanical that could make that sound is an older WD 1TB Blue spinning rust, maybe it was starting to fail under load. So I went to Best Buy and got a WD 500GB blue SSD, I didn’t really need the 1TB size anyway as it’s a scratch disk for editing anyway.

So for the 1st time ever, I have a PC with NO spinning rust HD’s, all SSD. It was glorious for abut 2 days, then CLUNK!

WTF?! The only other thing mechanical is my case fans. I couldn’t think of a good way to try and narrow down which fan it might be so it bugged me for a few days till I started working on some edits this past weekend.

So I started loading up the CPU trying to make it CLUNK. Standing next to my PC with my ear to the side and hands on the top and back where the fans are I tried to locate said clunk.

When it finally did, it sounded like it came from the bottom of the case. The PSU? Can’t be. Loaded up the CPU again and placed my fingers on the PSU … CLUNK! and the PSU vibrated heavily.

Now that’s a twist, never heard a PSU do that before. EVGA has this little switch on the back for ECO mode that keeps the fan off until it needs it. I turned that switch off and it hasn’t clunked in 2 days. The damn eco mode seems to be causing the fan to flip out, as long as it’s spinning full time it’s fine.

I plan on replacing the PSU soon as I can probably with a Corsair(I’ve had several and never had issues with them) or possibly a Seasonic.

Should I be concerned in the meantime?

PS: Sorry for the long update.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.