Pfsense wont detect Intel PRO/1000 NIC for LAN?

Hey reader(s),

I’m making a Pfsense box with version 2.4.1. The issue is that I can’t assign a LAN interface to the NIC I bought as Pfsense isnt detecting it. It’s an Intel PRO/1000 Quad. PN: 39Y6138. I’ve read around and many users are saying this NIC is not compatible with Pfsense or there were just too many issues. Is this true? Are there any other things I can do to get this working? Otherwise I’ll be returning it and buying a new NIC. Thanks in advance!
P.s. I’m still very noob at this stuff and am still learning :stuck_out_tongue:

Pfsense Box Specs:
Using an old HP8300 SFF desktop
i7-3770, 8gb ddr3 1600, 120gb SSD, Mobo has x1 Intel Gigabit LAN and one; x16pcie, x8pcie, x1pcie

What PICE port do you have it plugged into?
I read some stuff that these or similar adapters have trouble in anything greater than a x1 port.

Hmm, that is interesting. But I have tried the x8 and x16 and still nothing. Also, the NIC card itself is sized as an x4, so the x1 wont fit.

See if you can set the port in the BIOS to x4?
I think x4 and x1 are the same thing, but I am no super computer genius. x4= 4 lanes, x1 sort of means one group of 4 lanes.

You can cut open the back side of any sized PCIe connector to fit in larger sized cards and theyll usually work fine

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. After some dreaded hours of tinkering I just decided it wasnt going to work out. I bought a different model NIC and it seems to be working fine. Pfsense detected it and set it as LAN right away. Not sure why the original quad NIC I had didnt work though… from other forums I read, people said it was due to this model NIC being a rebranded IBM NIC. Oh well…

This was the new NIC I bought, Model: EXPI9301CTBLK

Thanks again!

1 Like