PFSense Peer to Peer VPN Local LAN not accessible

I was wondering if you can help me with this. I’ve been able to make a peer to peer connection using PFSense, OpenVPN client and NordVPN. It works, and runs correctly. When I direct through firewall rules a PC to use this connection it does. The PC however cannot see the local LAN at this point. I assume it views the local LAN as an outside network now that it’s pointing at the VPN so the firewall on Windows 10 blocks all the services on my LAN. I’ve tested this and it works if I just disable the Windows firewall. Is there a better configuration such that I can leave the Windows 10 firewall running and still access everything? If I route through an ISP interface then there’s no issue. How is this different? Thanks for any help you can give me.

You want to create two rules, the first is your VPN rule which you want to set the destination to not LAN, there’s a checkbox that inverts the destination then either use the lan network as the destination or create an alias with your local networks if you have more than just the lan. Under that rule you want a rule with the lan or local networks as the destination and the gateway set to default.

Basically you need to set up the firewall so that only Internet traffic uses the VPN gateway and everything else uses the default gateway.

You can also add a static route in Windows, but it can be messy (like using the hosts file instead of a DNS server). Best off to create a custom gateway on your firewall. https://serverfault.com/questions/897327/how-do-i-add-a-static-route-in-windows