pfSense how to connect OpenVPN Server network with Lan

Hi all,

I have installed my fantastic pfSense router on a server with 2 interfaces.
The lan interface is connected to a switch so I am able to connect multiple devices.

I later installed OpenVPN server on my pfSense router, and got it to work.
I am now able to connect with a OpenVPN client to my router.

My problem is that i can only ping my pfSense rounter when connected to the VPN.
I had a old setup where I had to make a static route between the 2 networks. But I am not sure it is the issue or how to make it.

Please help if you might know the solution. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you made any firewall rules on the VPN interface?

1 Like

There are a couple of points where this can fail. Usually the first is firewall rules. Make sure that your LAN can talk to your encrypted subnet (this is usually taken care of by the default allow from LAN rule in pfSense, but you may not be using that, I don’t know), and make sure that your encrypted subnet can talk to your LAN. When you create an OpenVPN server, you’ll generally get a new VPN tab in your Firewall area.

After that it’s a matter of routes. Usually pfSense is setup as a person’s gateway to the internets. If for some reason your pfSense box sits behind your router and is in no way required by your LAN computers to hit the internet, then your router needs to be aware that anything trying to get to your secure subnet should go to your pfSense box. This is a pretty unusual setup, but if it sounds like it might be the case, we can dig more into it.

For now, I’d say firewall rules are the most likely culprit.

Edit:
Ninja’d by Dexter.

1 Like