Personal Devemberment

I think we would all agree I am behind on my projects, to the point now that I don’t have parts to some old ones anymore.

I am behind on a lot of things. And this year has been kinda the rubberband effect for me as I’ve been slowly finding my way. I still have things I want done. I want ubuntu touch on a moto E6, hell I want a one and done rooting tool for the E6 to go with it. I want some tools built to help with Void PPC packages and get some tools in place to keep things running for me. I want my G5’s up and running olive already.

These IMO are simple things to accomplish. However when you’re used to being able to 100% go ham on something and be motivated by it, and then not do that for a long time, even the tiniest of projects can become hard. Hell it got so bad for a while I just switched to windows and barely touched anything but installing some things from Ninite and getting my browser. Couple games, but I’ve had other things to deal with that has made me less motivated.

Well, I want to work on that. ITT I will be posting what I wanted done ages ago. At the end of all of it, if I end up making something, or just pushing progress for other things, cool. If at minimum I end up just having a render farm and a server up that I can VNC into, cool. If all I can manage to do is be able to VNC into my R510 and do stuff with KVM, so be it. I have to keep my sense of scale realistic though and not just chomp on the biggest bite possible.

So what are the things I have wanted done?

• 1: Dell R510 running, with KVM set up so I can remote into whatever I need to.

• 2: Second Cisco Switch sussed out - is it broken or configured stupidly, and should I just chuck it

• 3: Youtube Space Made and Set up

• 4: Root an E6 and get postmarket booted / installed

1 is currently being worked on, 2 will be annoying but I want done, and 3 is my motivation to keep going. I find I work best when I can switch to another task when I start to get bored, so if 3 is all I get done, well at least I did something.

I will post as I work on things. My E6 project isn’t dying either, I just have odd amounts of time to dedicate to research atm. If I can get to booting ubuntu on the device I will consider that as like a landmark or something.

More to come. I need to get up.

1 Like

I have been working on an app for a while now. I keep re-writing the damn thing because I end up leaving it and when I come back I usually have learned better ways of doing what I was doing. Sometimes I just want to swap out the tech I am using. For example I am re-writing the backend in Scala 3 since that came out with Skunk. For the front end I am going from react native to Slinky.

BTW I am not much of a front end dev. I am mostly a backend dev so if anyone has interest in joining this project I may split ownership if there are any front end devs.

Another project I am considering “done” this this.

I created this to learn some Haskell and learn how compilers work. It’s not a full on compiler. I just takes a grammar object and from that creates a LLR(1) parser to generate the AST from a string. If I am more serious about creating a language I will either return here or write it again with better Haskell than I used.

1 Like

So I am wiring my rack up and getting things in place.

I am working on a boot USB to be able to actully install things on machines and thus far I have gotten a coredump from the uefi when it tried to boot ventoy and the bios has no idea what a usb stick is.

BUT, IT’LL TAKE A CD DRIVE

3:<

So I’m going to fiddle. I got it to boot ventoy once. I wanna get it up and running before I go out to trash pick today.

Letting yall know this is still going.

I had to get my partner moved. They are incessently picky and shitty about random dumbshit, so its been an effort. However getting them away from their mom has been a key thing to have done for months now, and all parties are in agreement that space is needed.

To be truthful, this is why the E6 project had to be halted, and why I didn’t have a more serious devember attempt. However I have been thinking. And thats the nuclear option.

For the next year I will choose one project per month. This does not mean I will bang out a rom in a month. This means if I am stuck on this part of the projects, that part is now the project until after I have gotten whatever working. Unless its one of those things you put down and come back to later, of course.4 years ago I could have totally done that and then bugtested and updated the following month. However I literally was just doing this when I was pumping work out. I had to take care of animals but I was otherwise doing nothing.

A big part of this month has been me learning my limits and learning to be honest with myself. If I can’t do something, I need to learn to say it. Often this has been physical limitations only, with most no’s being because I’m out of energy. I’ve only had a few tines where I’ve been unable to really do anything, so thats good I guess.

Mostly I am trying to get my gas back. I supposedly have ny servers drives set up correctly but it won’t boot to usb. Thats just draining. Friends pc needs to go in a dishwasher. Moms pc needs an overhaul or to get trashed and replaced. Koga needs an os. It goes on and on. However most of the list is tiny shit and just overwhelming.

I’m almost even back at square one cleanin the attic again. After getting @Valentia moved there was stuff everywhere. My parents being hoarders, you can imagine how rough that was.

But I got closer yesterday. I got my space a little more spruced up, machines set up and wired and networked. I just have to tetris the room now and it’ll be done.

Trying not to lose it. I hope I can get some stuff posted for sale so I can buy some train tickets. I really need to go out west for a week or two.

Oh and I guess theres another chameleon now. I didn’t want her, I don’t want her, but I’ll deal with it for bow.

Her name is olive. She has the attitude of an olive.

Ok I was gunna post something a day or two ago but I decided I want the space cleaner before that post. I almost have the space set up, before new years I am posting my youtube channel trailer

In the meantime I have gotten less shitty about olive. I’ll post some pics to at least have something here

I am almost done with my area of the space, at least in final configuration. Everything is set so I can stream or make videos. I have a top down cam to a tear down table next to my desk, I have network all set up, I have one or two small things left to do tonight to call it done, and tomorrow after some minor clean up and organization I shall start and finish a video about cleaning and setting up my friends PC.

My friend specifically being a homeless person who I got into housing and gave a computer shortly after. Well, he smoked a lot, and this thing is full of it. I will need to wash it and flood it with alcohol. This will be a good excercise of my setup and I think it will let me really test what limits I have to work with.

Atm I still haven’t put up my “wall” yet, so I can’t post pictures. Letting anyone see a mess that isn’t my fault is way on the bottom of the list of desires. So I am working on a curtain wall to cut the room in half

Luckily after this is relatively done, otherthings will be able to slot to place elsewhere in the house and life will get easier, one way or another.

The result of my devember thread here will be that video. Personal growth is important yall.