Performance less than expected / a mini win

TLDR my computer is slower than it was 6 months ago how do i fix it?

sorry life story incoming and i tied an onion to my belt which was the stile at the time…,

I had a bit of a wired* problem a few months back and re installed ubuntu

I wasn’t playing much but civ 4

Then i decided to play elden ring and that wouldn’t work on steam and I’ve f-d about with things and i forgot … so… could be me…
then i … onion etc…
I installed a flat pack of steam and got elden ring to play if i bypassed the anti cheat

its a win i’m happy

84 hours in its stopped launching

Well 6 hours later i rememberer id installed a flat pack …

Fixed with a flatpack update

so that is my mini win

Now the problem
I’ve played a few games on this desktop, two that I’ve numbers for are Kingdom come deliverance and Shadow of the tomb raider
for KCD 70 FPS out side Rattay and 45 ish inside
Bench mark on Shadow of the tomb raider >120 fps

KCD currently i’m looking at 24 in small towns 15 in rattay and 50 out of town with settings on medium rather than ultra
Shadow of the tomb raider its 80 fps

Ive ran Heaven benchmark and got similar max and average fps to my intal build bvench marks but min dropped from 50 to 10 from a original build which indicates the overclocks on the GPU work and the power envelope is as expected

Nvidia-smi showed 96% gpu utilisation and ls-cpu *2 showed cpus reaching 4.4 ish which is ok for my cpu (4.5 is max single and its a busy box)

when I game I’m not seeing much gpu load and cpus only reaching 4 ish

I’m seeing a lot of /ubuntu12_64/fossilize_replay *4 hitting both the main gpu and the one that is supposed to be vfio ( that’s another problem since the mid cycle 6.5 upgrade to an LTS Grumble grumble it got broken ) but i only used windows for a cad program and ive not been doing that and civ 4 …

Games seem according to the nvidia-smi*3 be running on the right GPU

But the wired est thing is the terminal is slow when used on the desktop, its fine over ssh

How do i fix this mess? I suppose its re install it again?

• My boot loader could not find a vmlinuz and i could not recover it as id compressed the zfs boot vol and the recovery could not see inside it

watch -n 1 “cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "[1]pu MHz" | sort -r | head -48”

I run nvidai-smi on a second system

munches a load of cpu as well

ppss Ive been migrating VMs to a proxmox cluster the desktop was a hyper converged system so its less busy than 6 months ago

1. c ↩︎