Pentium board

So I was rooting around in my parts bin, and found my old computer’s motherboard… 1993-94 was a good year for high school =) 66mhz processor and 64mb ram on the board just an fyi

3 Likes

Its funny to see how far these have come in such a short space of time :stuck_out_tongue: that CPU and board were basically completly obselete after maybe only 3 or 4 years

I have a 80286 cpu sitting in the corner somewhere. It’s one of the rare LGA-style connector variants. 10mHz of goodness

1 Like

OpenWRT/LEDE would probably still run on it – it’s lean on ram and it has good support for i386 still, whereas most distros are ditching support for 32bit.

Ironically, it’s probably too little ram to run X11 and a graphical web browser, even though it’s computers like that that bootstrapped the internet usage, with their windows 95/98 and ie/netscape back in the day.

People used to run with 32 or 64M of ram well into the early 2000s because of global shortages that made ram super expensive.

Do you have other parts to make it run?

I think I have everything execpt an extra case to get it up and running if I really wanted to I’m working on a 500 mhz athlon build right now for a old windows 98 gaming rig. If that is I can ever find an old agp 3dfx voodoo 3/4 that is cheap/free =).

This beauty was released in 1993 and was a 66 Mhz chip. I have an Athlon A1000 a 1Ghz chip released in 2001. Just for good measure my first real pc except a pentium 4 was a Athlon 64 x2 6000+ a 3 Ghz 2 core 64 Bit chip release date Feb 20, 2007.

If only today the increase would be so big as it was back in the day.

Nice man.

My goal is to build the biggest DOS system I can. The constraints are 512MB max RAM, ISA for the SoundBlaster 16 (ASP if I can find one). I’ll triple boot with OS/2 and Win98se - maybe even Linux too. Not sure what to do about the video card, as I want to be able to do some 3d accelerated DOS games like Mechwarrior2. I also want to avoid crap chipsets like SiS.

What pises me off is I used to have an AthlonXP 1500+ (1.33GHz) system that is exactly what I want that I threw out 15 years ago. Retro wasn’t a thing back then.