Peer-to-peer high quality screen sharing

Me and my friend live in the same city and use the same ISP and we both have symmetrical 1Gb/s fiber connections. So under these conditions I feel like it should be technically possible to have a reasonably low latency and high quality video stream setup between the two of us, right? We’ve been using the discord screen share to enjoy video games together but the quality isn’t great. I know that there are payed services out there but I’m having a difficult time finding any good solutions for this. To clarify I’m not looking for something like steam remote play together where the controls are also shared, I’m essentially just looking for a screen sharing software the utilized the fact that there is a fast and low latency link between the two of us.

I’d prefer a FOSS solution (maybe even cross platform?) but a non-FOSS solutions will work too if it’s really good.

Thank you for any suggestions!

I have heard that a good but proprietary solution is Parsec.

1 Like

I second parsec,
I use parsec at work to view and use my desktop at home whats around 15 mile away from the office and its pretty smooth to be able to watch and edit video and do whatever is needed.

1 Like

Are you using a platform like Steam? If so, Steam has Remote Play built-in that’ll do this for you. From my understanding it establishes a peer-to-peer connection for sending the audio, video and controls.

For remote stuff I use nomachine… plenty of clients for every device, very easy to setup, plenty of config options and works very solid for me. Didnt cost me a dime

I’m a fan of WebRTC. Everybody’s web browser has video conferencing capabilities built-in with modern video and audio codecs for years now, most people just don’t know they have it.

You can try it out here:

And if it works for you, and you really want everything to be peer-to-peer and highest possible speed, one of you can install the server side on a system on their local network, and forward a port to it:

I like the idea of using WebRTC but I’ve tried the https://meet.jit.si/ instance before and the quality of the screen sharing was nearly unusable even for two PCs on the same network. Maybe i should try hosting it myself.

Yeah, to get low latency, you really need a software stack on both ends managing the connection and data packets. Remote play with no QoS is a horrible experience.

I know it’s more like sharing controls with this app, but I sugget using Moonlight. If you have an Nvidia GPU you only need to install the bit that allows you to get out of your own LAN and your friend will install the client.
The tech behind uses the Nvidia encoder to stream so quality and latency are very low. Since both of you have symmetrical gigabit connections just crank the client app to the max and have fun.

You could use it on the premise that your friend won’t mess with your game while you play.

I don’t think there’s anything faster than this beside streaming your desktop through VLC. Don’t know how that works in details but shouldn’t be too difficult to set up.