PCIe to Molex/12v + (maybe) 3.3V power adapter?

Have an IBM SAS expander card, and I don’t want it taking up a PCIe slot in my server, so I’m trying to find an adapter which will allow me to power it standalone.

AFAIK, this adapter could work if I don’t need the 3.3V rail, and I just wouldn’t bother plugging it into an M.2 slot (i’d only use the adapter for injecting the 12V into the SAS card).

My only worry now is whether or not the IBM Sas Expansion card (model 46M0997) will need to use the 3.3V from the PCIe slot.

Optimally, I’d find something like that m.2 to PCIe slot linked above, except, it would not have the (in my case) not-needed M.2 connector, but it would have a buck converter to convert the 5V from molex to 3.3V

If someone can help me find something like that, it would be great. I really hope this all made sense, no idea how else to explain it without pictures.

Is this a buck converter I see on this part?

Taking a closer look at the listing, the TO 263 part appears to be a linear regulation, specifically, this one. That would have to be for creating the 3.3V rail, right?

Sure looks like it, and an adjustible linear regulator for some reason. You might be right on the 3.3v from this…?
Safe to assume this provide everything you need to run a PCIE device, but with it’s own power injection.
I would almost be so bold to say it has been designed for mining and to run 24x7, but it is also only a couple of bucks, so take that with a bag of salt.

1 Like

Alright cool, so it looks like I found what I need. Thanks to me and ArgGrr for the help! Solved? (most likely)

I did nothing, it was all you!

1 Like