PCIE Splitters?

Ok, so I have no clue if something like this exists. So, I have a slot that is PCI-E 8x electrical and I would like to know if there is any such thing as a splitter that will allow me to use two PCIE4X cards in that 8X slot. I mean, the lanes are there right? I just don’t know enough about how PCI-E works to know if this is possible. They have those PCIE1x to multiple PCI-E adapters for mining but really, the bandwidth required is minimal for mining and I know for fact there isn’t and splitting of lanes there and that won’t help me anyway. I was going to try and install a couple of 4X expansion cards for either more networking capabilities or another SATA/SAS controller.

Just as an aside, I don’t actually have any hardware set up right now for this but am pricing out a possible server upgrade for the next few months here using some older enterprise-grade components. If this is possible, is there some specific motherboard requirements? Is this a proprietary kind of thing?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer what I can only assume is a silly question. :slight_smile:

I certainly have seen them in servers, but for consumer, all I could find were cryptominer tastic versions like this one:

Thats exactly the kind of thing I was seeing. That sort of nonsense prolly win’t help me much for another 10GB network card or a SAS controller. Maybe I should focus on finding a better board that has more slots on it in the first place?

Thanks for looking! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Went looking further and found the IBM DS8870 wich is of no use to you except if you want to hook up an PCIE Gen 2 8x device up outside of the server, I think…

I did see super micro had made something like what I want. There was a x16 interface and it split off to two x4 and one x8 slot. One problem is they arent selling them anymore, a second problem is that they are designed for a specific chassis they make, and last problem is they are made into one board so I would end up having to use extensions just to have a chance and considering it is a right angle card. Though, if I can find one on eBay, it might be worth while to buy one just for hell of it to see if it works. It also only mentions the chassis it is made for and not if there are any specific requirements for motherboard support.

I guess once you figure out the right search terms, you can even find a few different models. Like this one for example.

EDIT: Apparently it is called PCIe bifurcation and even some consumer boards work with it sort of randomly… Huh…