PCIe Lanes on Asrock X370 Professional Gaming and X470 Taichi Ultimate

Hi!

While looking around I found some interesting spec “inconsistencies”. X370 and X470 have 8x PCIe 2.0, 4 SATA Ports and 2 SATA Express that each can be configured as 2x SATA or 2x PCIe 3.0.
After reading the manuals and looking at general x370/x470 block diagrams (I cant find them for asrock boards), this is how I think its layed out:
The X370 Professional has both SATA Express configured for SATA and the Taichi Ultimate one of them for PCIe to connect its 10GBit/s LAN. That leaves:

• 4 lanes for the 3rd pcie / 2nd m2 slot,
  • 2 for the x1 slots,
  • 1 for I211 Lan
  • 1 for the wifi card
  • 1 for the ASM1061 SATA controller
  • 2 for the 5 Gbit LAN on the X370 Board / for the backpanel USB 3.1 on the Ultimate

Thats 11 Lanes for 8 available.
What am I missing?

Further thoughs:
ASUS downgrades the 4x slot to 2x when the x1 slots are used. This is not the case here, I have the X370 Taichi (Same board as the Professional Gaming minus 5 GBit Lan) and I’m using a 10 Gbit card in the lower slot and a SATA controller in the upper 1x slot. Each of the cards show no sign of throttling. Additionally a friend of mine has the Professional Gaming in his build. He uses a 2nd 970 evo in the 2nd m2 slot while using the 5Gbit controller and a sound card in the upper 1x slot. No signs of throttling either (Not counting PCIe 2.0 limiting the 970 evo to about 1.8GB/s).
I physically can’t find any PCIe switches or similar things on any of the boards (This time not counting the 4 that split 16x/0x to 8x/8x on slot 1 and 2). lspci shows nothing suspicious either.
Any Ideas?
Thanks!

Edits: Getting my facts straight :see_no_evil:

Edit2: Solved it!
lspci -tv shows wifi, lan and the two pcie x1 slots grouped together. Another check of lspci reveals the trick: PCI bridge ASM1184e. I have no idea how I didn’t see that before. I guess its the same on the Taichi Ultimate board. In conclusion, the Lanes seem to be split up like this:
On the Taichi Ultimate, 2 SATA ports are configured as PCIe 3.0 for 10G

• 4 lanes for the 3rd pcie / 2nd m2 slot
  • 2 for the 5 Gbit LAN on the X370 Board / for the backpanel USB 3.1 on the Ultimate
  • 1 for the ASM1061 SATA controller
  • 1 for the ASM1184e PCIe switch connecting Wifi, Intel I211 LAN and the two PCIe x1 slots

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.