Pci-e 8 port Sata s3 Stable recommendations

HI. I’m new. I am trying to build a windows 10 Jellyfin server. My Motherboard only has 4 sata ports. (PC specs should be in my profile)
I have 2 of these iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS-BLACK 3x5.25 that have 7 slots filled with WD reds and one of these iStarUSA BPN-2535DE-SA with one SAMSUNG 850 EVO (WIndows 10 OS). I simply want a 8port sata (HBA,PCI-e, M.2, etc that is S3 stable and underload when i use Snapraid preferably under $100USD.

I have already tried :

HP H220 6Gbs HBA LSI 9205-8i IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID +2*SFF-8087-SATA 90CM U which bsod after 3 mins of waking up.

Amazon.com Which isn’t recognized in either the 16x or 4x slots.

And finally Amazon.com which drops drives after sleep.

Thank you for any help on this matter.

Maybe try something like this? I’m also on the lookout for something for my reServer.

Ty

Gonna try it Amazon.com

Also https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGJPDL8N?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Wish me luck.

Let me know how it goes, I’m also interested in the outcome :slight_smile:

So far so good with the Startech. Goes to sleep and wakes up fine. Get a warning in event viewer about (Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued) but no errors. Drives all show even the Veracrypt encrypted drives. So far no errors with Snapraid Sync. I haven’t and if everything goes fine have no intention of trying the m.2 8 port sata.

EDIT: THE FOLLOWING IS INCORRECT, IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HYBRID SLEEP
Oh Almost forgot. I did get a weird error that caused a dropped drive from Motherboard Sata when Hybrid Sleep is enabled. That didn’t happen without the Startech, but not sure what is causing that and don’t really need Hybrid sleep. I don’t really care. Just thought I would share since we are all here to help each other.

Good heads up, in case others encountered it, but did not bother mentioning

Awesomeness! Thanks for sharing your findings Neo! Btw, did the Startech come with the SATA cables as well?

It came with 2 mini-sas to sata cables.

My Motherboard Sata keeps dropping drives. I have removed the Startech to test. Every time i think everything is fine a few more S3 cycles and boom dropped drive. I believe it has nothing to do with the startech but i am trying to get an accurate picture and isolate the Motherboard. I will reply again on this after a few days of testing.

Check the power settings for your hard drives if there’s any power saver functions like spinning down drives, both OS and BIOS level. Also check your CPU governor, I have no idea why this is coming to my mind but all the same.

The Motherboard B760M Pro RS/D4 is stable without the Star Tech, no dropped drives after 23 S3 Cycles from a few hours sleep to a few minutes sleep. I have now reinstalled the Star Tech but moved it to x16 slot and will be testing.

Have you checked for any power savings features for PCIe?

Yes I turned off link power management and set hard drives to not spin down. Though the whole point of this build was to be as green as possible lol.

So that fixed the issue then?

It did not fix the issue. No matter the power setting i still get the issue. I have decided to keep the Star Tech. I have all but the OS drive plugged into the StarTech. I realized when i need the other ports is just for backups and i won’t be putting computer to sleep in those situations.