Pc won't turn on besides the RGB in the ram sticks Solved

Hey everyone!

I’m new here and I’m at a loss with what happened to me just yesterday.

So, I finished my build, it started first try and everything went smoothly…no crashes, managed to install the OS, all the apps I wanted, even tested with 3dmark (95% passed with no issues besides a gpu setting and 0 crashes) and even gamed a bit just to try it out.

Turned off the PC, went to sleep and on the very next day it just would not turn on.

When I pressed the power button only the RAM rbg lights came up, nothing else. No fans, no mobo lights, nothing else.

Steps taken to troubleshoot:

-Tried the paper clip test on the PSU, it didn’t do anything, but the PSU has a warning that the fan does not move except with heavier loads. Tried with the fans connected to the SATA cable, and nothing, so my first guess would be the PSU. But there is no burnt smell, nor the cables present evident issues.
-Tried re-seatting the RAM, had no effect
-Double checked the connections, everything seemed to be in place…

The only changes I’ve made were activating XMP in the BIOS and disabling the integrated GPU

Spec list:

Motherboard MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WiFi

SSD Western Digital Black SN850X 2TB Heatsink Gen4 M.2 NVMe

G.Skill Kit 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5 6400MHz Trident Z5 RGB CL32

Water Cooler CPU AIO Lian Li GALAHAD II Trinity Performance

E-ATX Corsair 5000D Core Airflow

7x Fan - Noctua NF-A12X25 PWM chromax.black.swap 120mm

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 16-Core (4.2GHz-5.7GHz)

Corsair RMx Shift Series RM1000X 1000W 80 Plus Gold

Any insight would be appreciated!

Hi, @filip3lopes. I have a suggestion for a few other things you have not done.

It sounds like you’ve done some thorough initial troubleshooting. Here are a few additional steps you can take to diagnose the issue:

First, although you did the paperclip test, it’s still worth testing the PSU with a known working one if possible. The PSU can fail without showing apparent signs like burnt smells or visible damage. If you can access another compatible PSU, swap it out to see if the issue persists.

Next, consider clearing the CMOS. Sometimes, changing BIOS settings can cause the system to fail to boot. You can clear the CMOS to reset the BIOS to default settings by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then replacing it. This may help if the issue is related to your BIOS changes.

Additionally, test your system with minimal components. Strip down your build to the bare minimum required to boot: motherboard, CPU, one stick of RAM, PSU, and GPU (if needed for display output). Try to power on with just these components. If it works, add components back one at a time to identify any potential issues.

Double-check all power connections, especially the 24-pin motherboard and 8-pin CPU power connectors. Make sure they are fully seated. A loose connection can prevent the system from powering on properly. Similarly, ensure that no standoffs or screws are shorting the motherboard. Sometimes, a misplaced standoff can cause the system to fail to boot.

You should also try each RAM module individually in different slots to see if one might be faulty or not seated properly. Inspect for any visible damage on the motherboard, like burnt components or bulging capacitors. Ensure the CPU is seated correctly and no bent pins are in the socket (if applicable).

Lastly, if your case has a removable front panel, try using the motherboard’s power button or shorting the power switch pins with a screwdriver to rule out a faulty case power button. If none of these steps help, there may be an issue with one of the main components, like the motherboard or CPU, and RMA (return merchandise authorization) may be necessary.

If the PSU isn’t brand new, my first guess as to what is wrong with your computer is a faulty power supply. But before you buy a new power supply, try the other things I mentioned above first.

2 Likes

Hey! Thank you for the quick awnser, sadly I did not have another compatible PSU so I brought all the parts to the store where I purchased it so that they could conduct tests on the equipments.

I didn’t mention this in the post, but I did tried clearing the CMOS, also had no effect.

Also to note, everything in the build is brand new, bought everything and assembled it last Thursday. What is boggling my mind is that everything worked perfectly for one day and after going to sleep it would not turn on.

1 Like

What you experienced isn’t one you have heard of. The first System I built was based on the AMD AM4, and I put everything together it wouldn’t even post. You are more lucky than I was. It turned out that the RAM I purchased was terrible. To find that out, I had to return the whole System to where I bought the parts and have them look at it.

1 Like

Hello!

The problem you are experiencing could be related to a number of reasons. Here are some possible troubleshooting steps and suggestions to help you find the source of the problem.

1. Check the Power Supply (PSU)

Paperclip Test: Even though you have already tried the paperclip test, there is still a possibility that the power supply is the problem. Try replacing the current PSU with another known good power supply to see if that solves the problem.

Power Cables: Make sure all power cables are securely connected, especially the 24-pin and 8-pin power connectors on the motherboard.

1. Reset BIOS
    Clear CMOS: Sometimes changing the BIOS settings can cause the system to not boot. Try clearing the CMOS to restore the default BIOS settings. You can do this with a jumper on the motherboard or by removing and reinstalling the CMOS battery.

2. Memory Issues
    Reseat the Memory: Even though you have already tried reseating the memory, double-check that the memory is installed correctly. You can also try to test each memory stick in a different slot.
    Memory Compatibility: Sometimes the memory is not compatible with the motherboard and can cause boot problems. Try to test with a different compatible memory stick.

3. Motherboard Problems
    Check motherboard indicators: Many motherboards have diagnostic LEDs that can display error codes during the boot process. Refer to your motherboard manual to see what these indicators mean.
    Short Circuit Protection: Make sure the motherboard is not shorted to the chassis. You can remove the motherboard and place it on a non-conductive surface (such as a cardboard box) and connect only the necessary components for testing.

4. Other Components
    Graphics card: Try removing the graphics card and testing with the integrated graphics card (if supported by the motherboard).
    CPU: Although less likely, it is also possible that the CPU is improperly installed or damaged. Check the installation of the CPU socket and heat sink.

5. Software and BIOS Settings
    BIOS Settings: Disable XMP and restore the default settings to see if it can boot normally. It may be that the XMP settings cause memory instability.
    Firmware Update: If you can enter the BIOS, check if there is a recent BIOS update that can solve compatibility or stability issues.

6. Thermal and Power Management
    Check Thermals: Make sure the CPU heat sink is installed correctly and the thermal paste is evenly applied.
    Fan Connections: Confirm that all fans are connected and working properly. Sometimes fan problems can cause the system to not boot.

7. Final attempt
    Test each component individually: If none of the above methods work, remove all non-essential components (such as additional hard drives, additional fans, etc.) one by one, leaving only the motherboard, CPU, one memory stick, and power supply, and try to boot the system.
    Summary
    These steps can help you troubleshoot the problem step by step. If you still cannot boot after trying all the methods, it is recommended to contact professional technical support or consider replacing hardware for further diagnosis.

I hope these suggestions can help you solve the problem, and I wish you good luck!

1 Like

Hey! Thank you so much for your input.

This is a very recent build, as in, all components are new so at the moment I do not have the pc with me. I decided to give it back to the store that sold me the components for them to check what is actually wrong with the components.

1. The PSU I checked, it was my very first thought since nothing is lighting up. I asked them to check it out straight away but one week after I still haven’t heard back from them…

2. Did reset the BIOS, but also did not boot

3. Also did this with the memory, it already worked in the previous day, my guess would be the xmp but after resetting the BIOS, still nothing

4. The motherboard has 0 lights sadly, which scares me and makes me think the motherboard might have an issue instead of the PSU

5. The very first thing I did was removing the GPU, also no success there

6. Can’t access the BIOS or anything software related since the PC doesn’t light up, but would be a good bet

7. On the day that I assembled it I did not see any abnormal temperatures. CPU was 40Cº iddling and when performing stress tests I did not get any errors or crashes which makes this whole thing super weird to me

8. I’m really banking on the PSU just dying on me for no apparent reason, it’s the only thing that makes sense. Either that or some cable being damaged and stopped working during the night.

Thank you so much for the input again, I’m really trying to understand if ppl faced a similar issue before just so I can mentally prepare myself as I have never faced an issue like this.

1 Like

Just got my pc back from the store, it was indeed a faulty PSU. Apparently this was the second in a row in a week that showed the same issue. Hope it was just bad luck.

Everything seems to be working now!

2 Likes