PC Stopped Turning On Overnight

It was fine yesterday but stopped turning on this morning. I’ve not changed the hardware in years…it’s still got the Vega 56 OEM in it.

The only signs of life are that the network port on the motherboard is still lighting up and my phone still charges from the USB-C port on the case. No POST.

I’m pretty sure something is causing the power supply to trip and detect a ground fault. If you power it off and let the caps drain it will try to turn on but you can hear the power supply click twice and it immediately shuts off.

Not exactly a cheapo power supply either (be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W 650 W) and the motherboard is an Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO.

Debating whether the power supply is bad or the board is creating a short somewhere that is just tripping the power supply. It could be either one and neither are cheap to replace. I’ve disconnected everything non-essential including the GPU and it’s still tripping. Just checking I’ve not missed anything.

Are there any debug LEDs to go off? There should be some light turning on if power gets to it but it’s cut at some point.

Make sure to check if with single channel memory the system tries to post or goes further on with the POST process.

If not even RAM does it you could remove the CPU and see what happens. You should get a CPU debug LED because there’s no CPU but the system will do something.

None of the status LEDs turn on on the board. Just a click sound and then nothing. But yes, bizarrely the network port is still lighting up when you connect an network cable. Already tried with single channel memory with both sticks.

That’s really really weird. The POST process doesn’t seem to start, but there’s power running through the system.
Seems like there’s an electical fault, like you said before, that might prevent the system from fully powering on to start the POST.

I’d say try to borrow a PSU just to make sure the system at least tries to POST. If it still doesn’t you’ll need to move to the motherboard and that’s quite difficult.
If you’re lucky there might be a computer shop that could help you with parts to test with.

Just noticed something else that’s strange. When you connect a kettle lead after all the caps have drained. There seems to be another louder clicking sound coming from the power supply. Not the usual arcing sound you hear when you connect it to power which would be normal. Obviously heavily leaning towards PSU failure now…

Sounds like a short/ cut out.

Have you disconnected the power supply from everything, then jumped the green to a black pin?
It should start the power supply, and run continuously till power lead pulled/switched off.

it could kill you, so be careful of course

Just to see if the PSU runs fine without shutting off, could jump just the PS-ON and any black pin, which should start the PSU up.
Most modern supplies with have a 24-pin connector, as right.
As you look at it, it is the two D shaped pins, to the left on the row nearest the latch.

Google for your own examples, but there is not a lot of voltage going through it. A paperclip/ spare wire will suffice.
I would suggest switching it off at the back of it, unplugging all except the 24-pin cable, jumping the 24 pin, then switching it on at the back to see if it stays on.

That really sounds like there’s a serious issue with the power supply. That loud click inside might be a sign that the primary side of the power supply has lost all kind of protection from reactive power that find it’s way from the kettle to it.

Anyway, with this new found piece of evidence, I think you should stop doing tests with that PSU.

Yeah I stopped playing with it once it did that. It only did it once but once is enough for me.

Took this video of what happens when it’s powered on before. You can see no status LEDs but the network port is definitely alive. If you turn up the audio you can hear the click immediatley after pressing the power button.

I’ll go find a spare power supply from somewhere.

I turned the volume way too high and it scared the shit out of me lol

Got it, it clicks on and off immediately once you try to power it on. The lights on the ethernet jack and the power to the USB ports is there because 5V SB (standby) is working (just remembered why that would be so I thought was worth mentioning it).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.