PC Shuts itself off, need to power cycle PSU

you say the system had a catastrophic off where the psu actually blew?.
was the corsair a single rail or multi rail psu?.
if it was a single rail then its likely other components got blown also.

multi rail psu’s carry less volts per rail so will off at lower amps/volts when something goes wrong.
this reduces the chance of secondary component damage but its not sure fire.

so its likely if your corsair was a single rail psu, that other components got damaged.
if its a multi rail there’s less chance, but still a chance other parts especially the motherboard also took a hit.
so testing each component in another build, if you have another build that is.
would be my next stop.

1 Like

Yes, related I would say. So far the tripping of the house circuit has claimed these victims
1x Motherboard (Asrock 470 board)
1x Corsair power supply (the systemstarted exhibiting random resets, replacing PSU fixed it on my main machine 3950X, 3090)

And likely the issues in PC in this thread is related since it was fine.

The house circuit is a standard household stuff, two AC, fridgerator, washing machine, dishwashing machine and random small appliances. If I have both AC turned on and say, washing machine, trying to make coffee will result in tripping the circuit breaker.

Actually Corsair was kind enough to replace it with 1000i, so I think I will be upgrading to that for extra headroom.

HWInfo should be able to do it. Linus tech tips just released a great video explaing why you would stress test a computer and they explain what software they use for everything so i would check that out for which tests to run and what to use to log it all. Heres a link to the video. Why Overheat your CPU on Purpose? - YouTube

Try doing that though and let us know what happens. Make sure you are using a UPS if you can as well.

1 Like

I would think it is the power supply! Make sure that the fan works and it is getting enough air! Power supplies break! I had a 1000 watt break a week after the warranty!

1 Like

It was the PSU. Replacing that fixed the issue.

Now wonder what to do, it is Seasonic FOCUS 750W and I am guessing out of warranty and I don’t believe I have the receipt anymore.
E-waste?

1 Like

You can often get a receipt from a retailer after the fact, and if they require proof the credit card used to purchase the item should be enough. Alternatively they may be able to look it up from the serial number. (Though for the future I’d recommend keeping receipts for expensive items, even taking a photo).

For expensive items with serial numbers like hard drives, and power supplies, I’ve found vendors can often be flexible. So you’re risking nothing by reaching out to Seasonic, and seeing what they say.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.