PC Shuts itself off, need to power cycle PSU

Having a bit of issue with my Ryzen 7 machine. It has worked fine for about six months but recently the machine started having the issue of sudden shutdowns.
It shuts down completely and does nothing until I switch off the PSU and switch it back on. After that I am able to start the PC again.
What would you guys do?
I wonder if PSU has gotten bad. It is relatively good I think, Seasonic 750W.
Or could there be a short somewhere?

Seasonic is one of the better brands out there and I do believe they OEM many other units for companies too.

I would try narrowing things down by disconnecting all extra devices and such inside the computer, like remove any extra HDD’s/SSD’s that are not the OS Boot Drive and see if running just the OS on the desktop shuts down the computer.

If so then it’s possible something is possibly overheating like a component on the motherboard and/or the CPU itself.

1 Like

having to turn the brick off and pull the cord from the wall generally points to self protection tripping.
could be anything causing it from a thermostat or a kettle on the same ring. so i would go around the house and pull everything from the sockets.
see if the issue goes away.
if it does then its a case of finding the dirty appliance. and sorting that out rather than the psu.

if the problem persists it could be dirty current has upset your psu causing it to trip when it shouldn’t.
seasonic honour there warranty so you can send it to the factory and have it tested. if its broken they will replace it… (get an rma number and a free postage if you can)
but even then if the psu is faulty and they replace it, you will likely also want to invest in a UPS to clean up the current before it gets to your pc (and give some backup in case of an off)

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply, much appreciate it. I already have everything unnecessary unplugged from PSU and not even have the unnecessary wires.

Very interesting. Actually we suffer from rental apartment situation with 30A circuit. Often we have overloaded the circuit and had the breaker trip and this has killed one of my Corsair power supplies.

It is completely possible that this is the situation, I do not trust the power here.

Going to draw earth from the washing machine and install UPS.

3 Likes

Interesting. Reseating the PSU cables seemed to have solved the issue.

Also, make sure your PSU is large enough for your components. If you run, say, a Threadripper + a 3090 + full watercooling custom loop it is quite possible this is enough to trip the PSU.

1 Like

Good point. 750W wouldn’t cut it for higher end hardware. This one has Ryzen 2700X and 2080.

I have other system with 3950X + 3090 and I use 850W for it, seems to be enough.

850w is fine for that setup but long term degradation of the PSU might pose a problem

1 Like

Oh really, is that so?

Unfortunately the issue returned so it wasnt the cables.
Knowing what the condition of electricity is here like, I think I will invest into UPS.
Actually due to space saving I think rather to build rack unit with my gear installed in it. What about this?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/CyberPower-Continuous-Inverter-1500VA-OL1500RTJP/dp/B00G2PRNSE/?encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=PtOIk&pf_rd_p=5ce033f0-5b81-46ec-8910-385cc2abff14&pf_rd_r=Q51SFKD5XD2X30H47F5H&pd_rd_r=5a51e13d-5ac5-44de-a7d6-7eb618b1e1cd&pd_rd_wg=5OPdE&ref=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

At the office we mounted them under the desk, I’ll take a picture when I get there in a bit

1 Like

I connected the system to true sinewave UPS
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/smart-app-sinewave/pr1000lcd/
Still does the same.

What do you guys suspect, mobo or PSU?

I suspect MOBO as I got it second hand and it did indeed have some minimal thermal paste in socket. Worked fine for six months though.

Are any of your parts overclocked?

1 Like

No, nothing

1 Like

System specs?

Hm. Do you have access to another power supply to use for a couple days? I would start with trying another power supply with a high power usage stress test running for a couple days. Then go for your motherboard. Also have you tried running stress tests with power usage logs to see if it spikes before shutting off?

Taichi X470
Ryzen 2700X
RTX2080Super
64GB memory 2 Sticks
Seasonic 750W supply

I will have access to a fresh PSU probably next week when new one arrives from Corsair.
Interesting about power usage logs with stress test.
Can HWinfo log those?
Maybe run something like Unigine valley / HWInfo?

So these two statements are related? The incoming replacement Corsair is the same one referenced in the 1st quote? And now you are having issues with a 2nd PSU on the same circuit? I would hazard a guess that the power delivery in the apartment is bad.

Just how much stuff do you have plugged into a 30A that is tripping it?

1 Like