PC Shuts Down After Loading OS

Just finished building a living room gaming rig, and I’m having all sorts of issues.

Using a Gigabyte GA-Z270N motherboard with an i5-7600K CPU, Samsung 960 EVO m.2 nvme SSD, and 2x4GB sticks of GEIL ddr4 ram. Also, a GTX 1060 that isn’t hooked up, but I’ll get to that later.

The problem is during the installation, it required a reboot. After the reboot (to continue with the installation/setup of Windows), it would shut off during the Windows loading screen. I tried 3-4 times in a row with the same outcome. Was starting to get frustrated (this isn’t the first issue I’ve had with this build), so stepped away for about 15 minutes. ONce I came back the rest of the installation went fine, and it got me to the Windows desktop. However, by the time I opened IE to download Chrome, it shut down. Tried 2 more times with the same result. Gets to Windows and by the time I get the browser open and navigate anywhere it will shut down. Your first thought may be that the CPU is over heating and it’s shutting itself down? Mine too…

The temp reading in the BIOS is showing 37-39C. I can sit in the BIOS as long as I want and it won’t shut down. It’s only once I get into Windows running on the NVME drive that it dies. I am also able to boot Solus (Linux) off a live USB stick and it doesn’t shut itself down.

Now that’s the main issue I’m facing… now for some more back story…

This build is in an NFC S4 Mini that uses an HDPlex 300w DC power supply with a Dell (Alienware) 330w laptop power brick. I’m having an issue with either the HDPlex or the laptop brick because when I hooked the system up with the GPU (GTX 1060) hooked up it will not post and shuts down after about 10 seconds. I was able to rule out an issue with the PCIE slot on the motherboard, the GPU, or the pcie riser card by powering the GPU separately by another PSU and getting into the UEFI. I also gamed with the GTX 1060 for several hours in my main gaming PC last night. I don’t think this is part of the issue I’m facing, but wanted to throw it out there just the same…

Any thoughts? I guess my next step, to maybe pinpoint it being an issue with the 960 EVO, is to hook up a regular hard drive and see how that goes. I’m postponing that for now because I don’t feel like tearing the system apart right now.

Might be a corrupted install image

First I’d try running Memtest 86 for a couple of passes. I’ve had some experience with bad memory that would corrupt files within Windows and cause BSOD, but Linux would work fine - I suppose Linux is much more tolerant of errors. I’ve only had Linux in a kernel panic once, and that was because I had a stick of memory bad that it had thousands of errors on the first pass of Memtest86.

If RAM checks out, could possible be firmware on the drive. I’ve had my OCz Agility 3 BSOD on Windows and occasionally disappear from BIOS, but a firmware update solved the issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. Just came back to update the thread…

I have a spare Corsair HX750 that I hooked up to the system, and it ran flawless for several hours. Just hooked up the HDPlex DC psu and Dell 330w brick again, and didn’t even make it into Windows without it shutting off. Really weird how it seemed to run fine from the linux usb stick… but now the behaviour is rather erratic.

I’ve not really heard of anyone having issues like this with the HDPlex, but I have heard of people having issues with the Dell brick depending on where they bought it. I, unfortunately, bought mine from eBay shipped out of China as a refurb’d unit. I’m going to order a new brick first and hope that is the issue, and meanwhile I’ve reached out to HDPlex to see if there’s any warranty on their units in case it is the HDPlex unit.

-Larry from HDPlex got back to me super quick saying he’d replace the unit.

1 Like

… why are you using a shitty generic psu anyhow?

I’m not.

Yeah, I looked it up after I posted

The issue turned out to be the refurb’d Dell 330W brick. I ordered a new brick and everything is working great now.

2 Likes