PC randomly shuts off and reboots. No BSOD or error code

Hello everyone, haven’t posted on the forums much lately since what little free time I have had I spend playing games with the wife. At least until a few days ago.

I have a Ryzen 3900x system that is randomly shutting off with no error code in windows reliability monitor. It does it while gaming, rendering and even idle on the desktop. It has even shut off in the BIOS.

Nothing is overclocked other than my Memory because I want stability with this system.

My current config.

AMD R9 3900x with Noctua NH-U14s
G.Skill 2x16gb 3600mhz CL16
Asrock B550 PG Velocita
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb
Titan Xp with EVGA CLC cooler
Fractal Define R5 case with 3 Noctua A12 fans.
EVGA G3 1000w PSU

I have also tried the following and used the following parts to try and diagnose the issue.

Disabling XMP and running at 2133mhz
Manually setting ram speed and timings
Used a set of Crucial 2x16gb 3200mhz Ballistix AT
Tried using my wife’s MSI Ventus GTX 1660
Disabled ECO and enabled eco mode on my power supply
Directly plugged PSU into wall outlet instead of my surge protector
Changed the power cable on the PSU

PBO was enabled for the first day I had the system and it has been disabled since. My single core clocks suffered and it got a little hot for my taste.

I have stress tested the system using several methods. Memory tests can run for hours with no errors.

This has started in the past 3 days. I have had the Asrock Motherboard since June 19th and previously had an Asus X570 Tuf Plus motherboard that I got an RMA refund after it started having trouble posting. The asus motherboard was 100% stable when it finally posted but took 4-6 attempts every time I used my PC. With the Asrock board it was stable for the past month until Monday.

Bios has been the same since I updated it on day one. No new bios revisions are available except for a beta bios.

I have not had a thunderstorm in the area recently and no power issues. I usually unplug my PC when there is one.

What else can I do to determine if the CPU, Motherboard or PSU is at fault? I have run out of ideas at the moment.

To me this sounds like a power problem or an intermittent short circuit.

That’s a modular PSU. Double check every single connection to make sure it is in there solid. Likewise on the motherboard and components. Oh and make sure you’ve got all the motherboard power inputs connected.

Then make sure there are no “lost” screws or anything under the motherboard. Make sure there aren’t any screws, dangly bits of wire, cable management twist ties, unconnected power leads or anything else like that hanging around loose where it could short circuit anything.

Make sure your M.2 and PCIe cards are firmly in place.

Since you had a previous motherboard that developed problems over time another thing to suspect is your PSU. It hasn’t happened to me, but I’ve heard of PSUs that kill systems through wild power fluctuations. I have no idea how to test for that. If you do another motherboard RMA do the PSU also.

1 Like

Agreed sounds like PSU. Can you borrow one from a friend or your wife’s pc or if in your budget, replace proactively?

Also worth just reseating the CPU and repasting the cooler just in case it is a bad connection. Reseat your ram again or try one stick just as a test.

Sorry for the late reply, I found out the cause of my problems. It was my CPU. Had to RMA it. The infinity clock would not go above 1066mhz without random reboots or crashes with no bsod.

Thank you for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.