PC Modding

Considering my PC has a black and orange theme, but it's mostly black, I was considering in painting my CPU fan black, as it's one of those low profile CPU coolers from Silverstone, meaning it's white and blue. So first of all, is it okay to do this? By that I mean it won't ruin the fan or the performance of the fan?

Additionally I'd like to ask, have any of you guys done this before? If so, could anyone give me good hints/tips? Could anyone give me a good video/tutorial to watch?

I would've thought that it would be fine, but I thought I'd ask someone who has some experience with modding or someone with more knowledge than what I have. I mean I've seen some people paint heatsinks, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to just paint the fan that sits on top of the heatsink, but I could be totally wrong.

I'd also like to ask if you can actually make a difference to your SSD temps by adding heatsinks, would that actually help or not? Or is that just a terrible idea end of?

1 Like

Find yourself Xigmatek fans and solve your color issues...

Otherwise I would personally not recommend painting fans.
You need to take it apart, to fanatically protect the motor from dust, paint, garbage from the covering tape, etc...
And then there is the issue, that if you overspray one side you may kill the aerodynamic properties of the fan...
No... Just get a different fan. They are making them in all kinds of color, including rgb...

What? Why? Unless it's m.2 with bare chips... Than it may be beneficial to have a heatsink. Sata ssd - pointless.

1 Like

I thought that getting paint in/on the motor may be an issue, but I wasn't 100% sure, hence why I asked of course.

But hell yeah, getting another fan that has RGB properties could be a better idea.... Just set the colour to orange to match the GPU and front power LED.

I should have clarified that, yes, it's an M.2 SSD, I know adding one to a sata drive would be a waste of money, just because you'd be sticking it to the enclosure. I know for a sata drive, you'd have to take the enclosure off for it to make ANY difference at all, but if I were to do that the warranty would then be void, so nah....

Well then yes. You can use thermal pads and stick a couple rads on it. If you really think the thermals are bad... Or even just for beauty.

I don't think the temps are that bad, I'm just trying to get the best temps that I can possibly get though! ;)

Well my usual answer would have been put more fans on the case, and then I noticed your case...
Well, if you think that will help - go for it. It's not going to be an expensive upgrade, so even if it doesn't help much it will not be a waste of money.

Yeah I know that you can buy tiny heatsinks for very little money, hence why I'm contemplating it... But yeah, as much as I love my case, it's not the best for temps, I will say that much, I mean it's far from bad, but it could be a little bit better in my personal opinion. I mean none of my temps are anything to worry about, and the dust filters seem to be doing an excellent job.

Painting the fan would certainly make it unbalanced which would lead to premature eja-cough-failure.

Don't listen to the haters that are too chicken to try it for themselves. Just try to give it a few thin coats.
Some of my painted fans are more than 5 years old. Besides, it's only a fan.
It's not like they are irreplaceable.

Noctua red shroud, black blades

Thermalright CPU cooler with red blades

Corsair white LED fans with orange painted blades.

I love the way the paint tinted the clear fans with white LED's orange.
Please note that I painted the edges of the fins on the heatsink by masking and pointing the spray down. Only about 1/2" of the fins has paint on it. Also painted the top fin of the GPU heat sink (old GPU)

1 Like

I like how you wronged my personal opinion...

So don't take it apart, just wrap it up? No, dude... Give him the risks. It's not that simple at all...

Actually the most critical part is the gap between the blades and the shroud where the motor is. And mummifying it carefully will not allow it to spin and not allow to paint the blades properly, and then we have the shroud in the way of the paint, because you can't spin it up and the blades, that are hidden by the shroud will not be painted well, all to save 9$ for an orange fan and be done with it...

It will not certainly 100% absolutely unbalance the fan, but it could. It all depends on the thickness of the paint and the way you paint it...

Now, @Argon, if you are willing to try and paint the fan go for it. Just you need to keep in mind, that you may basically kill it in no time. So the choice is yours.

While I apologize for saying your opinion is wrong.
I have a few questions for you.

Have you tried it or are you repeating what you have heard?

Can you deny the photographic evidence that I successfully did it?

Have any of my fans died?
The Noctua is 5 years old and the others are 3 years old.

Can a dead fan be replaced inexpensively?

With the possible exception of the CPU fan, is a failed fan catastrophic?

Is it likely that a failing fan will give plenty of warning before it stops spinning?

Did I ever say it was easy?

It took a few hours to mask up those Corsair fans with teeny-tiny pieces of tape.

Of course you are correct @psycho_666 that the best option is always to buy a new fan that is the right color without requiring paint. But the title of this thread is 'PC modding'. If @Argon wants to mod his fans, I was encouraging him to have fun giving it a go.

It worked for me.

On a final note, My $25 Noctua fan is great but not worth it, The $11 Corsair fans were a HUGE improvement over the $10 good no-name fans I had. The $19 be quiet! Silent Wings fans that came with the case are the best fans I have owned so far. They move tons of air and are completely quiet.

Peace, out.

IMO if u plan on modding, it is best to start by buying the parts to your PC that match the theme u have in mind to avoid have to do much manual changes they may void the warranty.

I know that's more sensible but if I do consider modifying my build. I'd want to mod it as much as possible to try and make it as unique as possible! :)