[PC][Linux][Proton] No Man's Sky Crash and Potential Fixes

I have been playing NMS for a while using Proton and like many others have been experiencing some hard lock crashes. The crashes literally freeze the machine into a cold lock / black screen.

To be clear, this is not overheating, it’s not system resource issues, and it is not power sag from a bad PSU. I did a lot of research on this, ran a lot of logs and also ran conky to see my temps / ram / cpu usage in real time (since the crash doesn’t write a crash log).

This is an issue with NMS locking up the video and hard crashing the system. It is pretty well documented this issue occurs in both Windows and Linux versions. So that said. . .

I did some testing last night with the experimental version of NMS and was able to play for over 2 hours without a crash or lockup. Previously, I would generally have a hard lock of the system within an hour or so. I will do further testing over the weekend (and suck up many nanites and glorious indium if all goes well).

The fix I did was run the experimental version of the game. This is still an unfinished patch but certainly seems to have fixed my prior issue.

If you are using NMS and having the hard lock crashes, I would love for you to try this and post your results here. For science and all that. . .

Here is how you can enable experimental mode on Steam:

• Right-click on No Man’s Sky in your Steam library and select Properties

• Go to the Betas tab

• Enter the code “3xperimental” and click on the Check Code button

• Launch the game

Hope this helps some other folks out!

3 Likes