Patriot 2TB, SATA SSD + Asmedia SATA Controller

So has anybody had any issues with Patriot SSD storage drives ?

I have an enclosure that can take up to (6)Six SATA SSD’s and two of the slots are populated by a pair of identical Patriot SSD’s

Both of them exhibit the same poor performance and act like there are bad blocks.

I’ve tried copying files manually to and from and both seem to behave the same way.

I also have other SATA SSD’s attached onto the same controller, some Samsung and even an old 240GB SSD from way back when that is still working fine.

If it was the controller I would have noticed the issue with these other storage devices before installing the Patriot devices.

The only other thing I can test is to see if I can connect the SATA interfaces for these SSD’s onto the onboard SATA controller and see what happens.

Any ideas on this one ?

Is the asmedia controller by any chance on a m.2 card, and are the two affected drives on the last two ports? I can’t verify this but I’ve heard around that the 5 and 6 ports don’t go to the controller directly and go through a switch chip

Try to also give it a firmware upgrade if possible

@thunderysteak nope, it’s a PCIe expansion card, dual-controller, hence the 8 SATA ports.

I will be checking if there is any updated firmware but like I stated other SATA SSD’s are attached and working fine.

I will try to find the make/model of this card but it was one of the generic cheaper models on Amazon.

It’s this model controller by Syba

Amazon.com: Syba 8 Port SATA III to PCIe 3.0 x1 Non-RAID Expansion Card Dual ASM1064 Low Profile Bracket,SD-PEX40163

EDIT: Checked the Syba web site, only drivers available for download, no firmware.

Also note, that older SSD is a Corsair model, only 240GB and still working fine, it too is connected onto this same controller card.

Direct to the chipset SATA ports’d be the first thing I’d validate.

That’s not the case here. Syba’s switching two ASM1064s with an ASM1182e. ASMedia stuff’s pretty solid but it’s still a not great implementation choice on Syba’s part. All eight drives share the 1182e’s PCIe 2.0 x1 uplink, so even running just one SSD at a time can’t get the drive to full SATA III bandwidth.

The six port M.2 thread you’ve linked is all direct off ASM1166 (other than three posts where we got into an eight port ASM1166 + JMB575 aside).

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, looks like some cable tweaking and testing is in order.

I can confirm that once I swapped over to the onboard SATA controllers, these Patriot SSD’s had no further issues with speed/throughput.

Not sure what was happening with that 8-port SATA expansion card.

Again thanks to all for the feedback on this matter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.